Author Topic: hot keys inactive if cursor is in the search box  (Read 6255 times)

skim1124

I switch often between the album cover layout and the track listing layout using F7 and F10 as hotkeys.  It works fine--as long as the cursor is not in the search box, in which case the hotkeys don't work. Is this a bug or is this intended?  (It seems to be a bug because when the cursor is active for editing the track in some way, the hot keys work.)  Anyway, this happens often enough that I wonder if it can be fixed so that hot keys will work even when the cursor is in the search box.

Musicbee works so well for me that I'm reduced to writing about this admittedly very minor issue, but fixing it could take us one step closer to perfection, right?

Mayibongwe

• Heal The World
...fixed so that hotkeys will work even when the cursor is in the search box

Hello skim1124. While we wait for an answer from the experts, I'll give my opinion as a novice. It's very much intended to work like that. Those two (search and hotkeys) cannot work simultaneously. Let's say you wanted to search for the song "Proud" and the letter "P" happened to be a hotkey which you assigned to opening preferences...how would MB know which action to prioritize in that case? If anything, MB would end up crashing as a result. With hotkeys like F7 and F10, it wouldn't be a problem. But for someone like me whose hotkeys are mainly letters, the inconvenience would be unbearable.

...because when the cursor is active for editing the track in some way, the hot keys work

Not quite true. They would only work because the cursor wouldn't be focused/active in the textbox. Apologies if I'm mistaken in anything I've said.
Favourite tune at the moment:   Dearly Beloved by Yoko Shimomura from the Kingdom Hearts soundtrack

skim1124

@Mayibongwe: But that's just it.  When I'm editing, say, the composer of the track and the cursor is active, F7 and F10 still work.  As far as I can tell, it's only in the search box that my hotkeys don't work.  I understand why you wouldn't want alphabetic hotkeys to be active when typing something, but it shouldn't disallow function key-based hotkeys.

Música

Skim, about the only hotkey I use is for the rip tool, and alt-r works fine when the cursor is in the search box, searching or not, with both the album cover and tracks layouts. Best getting past this imperfection in your setup.

Tried on Version 3.4.7805 on Windows 7, by the by, but could also check on my Win 10 Surfaces.

skim1124

Skim, about the only hotkey I use is for the rip tool, and alt-r works fine when the cursor is in the search box, searching or not, with both the album cover and tracks layouts. Best getting past this imperfection in your setup.

Tried on Version 3.4.7805 on Windows 7, by the by, but could also check on my Win 10 Surfaces.

As I said, it's a minor imperfection that I can easily live with.  And actually, getting a clue from you that Alt-r works, I just found a workaround by changing the hotkey to Ctrl-F10 and Ctrl-F7.  So it does seem that it's just the naked function key shortcuts that are affected when the cursor is in the search box, which seems like an odd feature or inconsistency.