Author Topic: Replacing track title with work and movement  (Read 1774 times)

jack94

Hi, I'm new to MusicBee (finally got rid of iTunes after getting an Android phone), and I like it a lot so far though I'm still figuring things out.

The only issue I'm having is with work and movement titles for classical music—specifically, they display fine in MusicBee itself but not on my phone (in Samsung Music). I would assume this is just a feature that isn't supported by Samsung Music, so I'm looking for one of two things:

(a) Recommendations for an Android music app (ideally free) that would retain the work and movement info when transferring from MusicBee.
(b) If there's just a quick way of populating the track title field itself with the info from the work and movement fields the same way MusicBee does automatically (i.e. "Work: #. Movement title") but so that it would carry over when syncing to phone.

It would be great to hear suggestions regarding either of these, or any more obvious solution I've missed! Thanks in advance for any assistance.

The Incredible Boom Boom

Hi, I'm new to MusicBee (finally got rid of iTunes after getting an Android phone)...

Movin' on upppp!

(b) If there's just a quick way of populating the track title field itself with the info from the work and movement fields the same way MusicBee does automatically (i.e. "Work: #. Movement title") but so that it would carry over when syncing to phone.

Unfortunately, I think the only way you'll be able to accomplish this is using the Additional Tagging and Tools plugin or the separate MP3TAG tagging software to retitle your tracks so they can be read by whatever music app you end up using. I'm not an expert on Android music players, but I'm unaware of any that support using custom tags, but if so, you'd still need to use one of the previously mentioned options to send the format you desire to the tag.

jack94

Unfortunately, I think the only way you'll be able to accomplish this is using the Additional Tagging and Tools plugin or the separate MP3TAG tagging software to retitle your tracks so they can be read by whatever music app you end up using. I'm not an expert on Android music players, but I'm unaware of any that support using custom tags, but if so, you'd still need to use one of the previously mentioned options to send the format you desire to the tag.

Thanks for your input! Would there be an advantage to using those options over just changing track titles within MusicBee manually? At the end of the day, I could always just fill in each track title field manually with the info I want there, but it seems much more time-consuming/finicky than using the work and movement fields. Ideally, it would be nice if I could fill in info in the work/movement number/movement fields and then have that automatically override what's in the track title field. Is that the sort of thing you can do with the software you suggested?

The Incredible Boom Boom

Would there be an advantage to using those options over just changing track titles within MusicBee manually?

You answered with, "...but it seems much more time-consuming..."

Ideally, it would be nice if I could fill in info in the work/movement number/movement fields and then have that automatically override what's in the track title field. Is that the sort of thing you can do with the software you suggested?

Yes, that's what I had meant. (I would use) MP3TAG to format the filled out WORK/MOVEMENT NUMBER/MOVEMENT tags onto the TITLE tag. I would also suggest using Picard to import the aforementioned tag information from MusicBrainz. Actually, if you're solely interested in displaying the work, movement number and movement name in the <Title> tag on both MusicBee and your mobile music app, Picard will tag nearly all classical tracks in such a manner from the jump.

jack94

Not having much luck with this. First, Picard seemed to struggle to identify much of my library, which is rather messy and consists of tracks from a variety of sources rather than necessarily full albums. And then even for the tracks it could identify, clicking "Save" on them didn't seem to actually do anything to the files/tags as far as I could tell. Maybe I was doing something wrong.

MP3Tag does seem to effectively modify the files in the way I want (except that movement numbers aren't displayed as Roman numerals, but that's pretty minor). But I'm having a hell of a time getting these changes to actually "take" in MusicBee itself. When I look at the track title field in MusicBee, it still shows the old value, even though in Windows Explorer the new title is shown. Is there a way to get MusicBee to take notice of the updated fields somehow? Sorry if this is obvious, I'm not good at this stuff.

phred

• Global Moderator
Is there a way to get MusicBee to take notice of the updated fields somehow? Sorry if this is obvious, I'm not good at this stuff.
Any time you make tag changes outside of MB, you need to rescan the files in order for the changes to appear.
Select the files > right-click > Send to > File rescan
Last Edit: October 15, 2021, 09:55:42 PM by phred
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

jack94

Any time you make tag changes outside of MB, you need to rescan the files in order for the changes to appear.
Select the files > right-click > Sent to > File rescan

That's fixed it. Wouldn't have thought to look under "Send to"! Thanks for your help.

phred

• Global Moderator
Glad to hear it was a simple solution. Thanks for letting us know.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here