Author Topic: Use of search as track jump in playlist?  (Read 6089 times)

arquis

Hello,

I tried searching the forums for a similar issue but I don't think it was ever resolved in any concrete way.

I've migrated to MusicBee some time ago and it's been a great experience. I was able to adapt it to my needs in all but one aspect - is it at all possible for the search function to act as a jumplist within a playlist? I have one large playlist arranged in a specific order. As it stands, whenever I play a song from the search results, it effectively replaces the playlist. Ideally I'd want the search function to simply play the song at its given position within the playlist.

My current workaround for this is to play the song, clear the search, select "go to track at source" through a hotkey, then play the track again. It doesn't sound like a big deal but doing this 30 times a day makes it a bit of an annoyance.

Is there a built in mechanism for this that I simply haven't noticed? If not, would it be possible to implement this as a feature?

Thanks for reading.
Last Edit: October 13, 2021, 11:38:54 PM by arquis

arquis

Bumping the thread as it's been over two weeks now. Is there really no way of doing this?

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
If I understand what you want correctly, just select a track in the playing tracks list and start typing. It will filter the tracks according to your search. Just ESC or X out of it when you're done to get the full list back.

You might also look at Now Playing Preferences, because you can change the behavior of playing a new track.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

arquis

If I understand what you want correctly, just select a track in the playing tracks list and start typing. It will filter the tracks according to your search. Just ESC or X out of it when you're done to get the full list back.

You might also look at Now Playing Preferences, because you can change the behavior of playing a new track.

As far as I know, this still creates a queue of all search results, overwriting the playlist.

I've looked into the preferences but I don't think any of them allow to jump to a song within a playlist and continue in accordance with the playlist itself, without creating a queue.

hiccup

Are you sure you are using the search option for the now playing panel itself?

Mayibongwe

• Heal The World
I just tried out what @psychoadept suggested and it actually is a solution to your problem.
just select a track in the playing tracks list and start typing. It will filter the tracks according to your search
In other words, put focus on the playing/upcoming tracks panel so that when you start typing, a new search bar (see Hiccup's screenshot above) will pop up and allow you to search and play tracks WITHIN THE PLAYLIST. It will not create a new queue.
Favourite song at the moment:   Decode by Paramore

arquis

I just tried out what @psychoadept suggested and it actually is a solution to your problem.
just select a track in the playing tracks list and start typing. It will filter the tracks according to your search
In other words, put focus on the playing/upcoming tracks panel so that when you start typing, a new search bar (see Hiccup's screenshot above) will pop up and allow you to search and play tracks WITHIN THE PLAYLIST. It will not create a new queue.

You're right, this is exactly the functionality I'd want in the entire thing. I haven't used the playing tracks list directly before. However, now I have to figure out how to replace the files panel with the playing tracks panel or open it as a separate tab at least. As it stands, I can only place it as an additional panel e.g. below the files list which is not ideal.

Mayibongwe

• Heal The World
or open it as a separate tab at least

That should do it (select playing/upcoming tracks from the header menu in the now playing tab). It's worth mentioning that when you use this tab, the main search bar now does what you wanted it to do in the first place.
jump to a song within a playlist and continue in accordance with the playlist itself, without creating a queue

arquis

That should do it (select playing/upcoming tracks from the header menu in the now playing tab). It's worth mentioning that when you use this tab, the main search bar now does what you wanted it to do in the first place.

Unfortunately I can't seem to be able to figure out how to add this tab. I only have one tab with my playlist right now and when I click on new tab, I can only choose from Music, History and playlists in the left sidebar.

Mayibongwe

• Heal The World

Before the tabs can appear in the left sidebar, they have to be enabled in Preferences>Layout(1). So make sure the "Now Playing" tab is ticked.

arquis

Fantastic. I can't believe I didn't scroll down in that menu.

Looks like I can now search through tracks by typing when the list is focused (in the playing tracks search bar), but not through the main search - nothing happens when I type stuff in there. Would be nice to fix this but it's not a big deal as I can just use the playing tracks search.

A bigger issue is that "goto playing track at source" doesn't apply here anymore because it still opens the playlist instead of the playing tracks tab. I've swapped the hotkey to "goto playing track in playing tracks list" but it doesn't seem to be doing anything. What am I missing here?

Mayibongwe

• Heal The World

Main search is still working just fine for me (I didn't mingle with the settings or anything for it to work). It should work for you too. Try it again.

I've swapped the hotkey to "goto playing track in playing tracks list" but it doesn't seem to be doing anything.
It doesn't seem to be working on my side either. Let's have someone else confirm this before reporting it as a bug.

arquis

Main search is still working just fine for me (I didn't mingle with the settings or anything for it to work). It should work for you too. Try it again.

It works, but in a completely different way. What it does now (in the playing tracks section and in the main search) is go to the nearest matching track instead of showing all matching tracks, which makes it way less useful than it is in the playlist. If I change the main search mode from local node to global search, it still creates new queues.

arquis

Bumping this again just to make sure it's a dead end as of right now.

The Incredible Boom Boom

I've swapped the hotkey to "goto playing track in playing tracks list" but it doesn't seem to be doing anything.
It doesn't seem to be working on my side either. Let's have someone else confirm this before reporting it as a bug.

I don't search often, if at all, so I can't help with the main issue, but the hotkey I have set up for the above works fine for me.