Author Topic: Use of search as track jump in playlist?  (Read 6092 times)

Mayibongwe

• Heal The World
Thank you for confirming that. Turns out it always worked. We just didn't know how it worked.
Last time we were here, me and @arquis were expecting MB to go to the playing tracks in the Now Playing tab.
But that's not what this hotkey is meant to do. (it only locates the track in the Playing Tracks panel)
Favourite song at the moment:   Decode by Paramore

hiccup

Bumping this again just to make sure it's a dead end as of right now.
It could be me, but to me it's not clear what it is you are 'bumping' exactly.
I am guessing it is not your full start post, since it looks like a couple of things you asked there have been clarified, and I believe you put some of that to use.

So it might be good to explain the exact thing you are trying to accomplish now.
Not everybody will be (willing to) read the full thread and try to understand where you are at now.

If the exact terminology is a bit difficult, perhaps some screenshots?

arquis

Bumping this again just to make sure it's a dead end as of right now.
It could be me, but to me it's not clear what it is you are 'bumping' exactly.
I am guessing it is not your full start post, since it looks like a couple of things you asked there have been clarified, and I believe you put some of that to use.

So it might be good to explain the exact thing you are trying to accomplish now.
Not everybody will be (willing to) read the full thread and try to understand where you are at now.

If the exact terminology is a bit difficult, perhaps some screenshots?

While some ideas have been tossed around, so far they didn't end up being applicable for my use case.

The issue is still the same: perform all search and play functions within a playlist instead of globally, i.e. do not create a queue of search results upon playing a song from the search results window. Instead, jump to particular search result in playlist and continue playlist from that point. Essentially single playlist mode, bypassing the "playing tracks" idea.

The proposed approach of using the "now playing" section instead of playlist view doesn't seem to be applicable as the global search function doesn't seem to be doing anything here, and local search within the now playing portion simply changes the location of the selection to the first matching result instead of presenting a filtered list, like the global search. Moreover, it seems that there is no hotkey to jump to the currently playing track in the now playing section - only in the playing tracks section (which I would ideally bypass entirely) or the playlist.

I'm currently bored at work so here is a step by step visualisation of the situation with a few screenshots for good measure. I have decided to use links so as to not clutter up the page.

1. Initial state of player.

I keep all of my music in one master playlist, as I want it to be arranged in a particular order.
Let's say I want to listen to the song Stupid Girl by Garbage.

2. Search results.

I play the song by double clicking (or pressing Enter). Since I found the song I wanted to listen to, I exit the search results. However, when the song finishes, a problem arises.

3. The crux of the matter.

Instead of continuing the playlist with the song Dog New Tricks, the player skips to the next search result instead, which is Girl Don't Come. If no other search results are found, the player simply stops.

This is the issue. I would like to be able to tell MusicBee to not create a queue out of search results and simply jump to the track I was searching for within a particular node (playlist) and continue playing from there - similar to the functionality in other players. This is only possible if I play the song again (by double clicking or pressing Enter) after exiting the search results and using a hotkey to go to the playing track within the playlist, which is an annoyance.

4. Playing directly from playlist.

If the song is played directly from the playlist, the search queue is gone and the player correctly moves to the next track.

Hopefully this clears things up. Let me know if further explanation is needed still.

hiccup

Considering that a playlist is just a 'dumb' list of songs, and it does not have an understanding, nor keeps track of playing/played/to play, it will be the Now Playing list that is most appropriate for what you are trying to achieve.

What about creating a tab that has the now playing panel as the main panel, with its search bar at the top.
For as far as I understand that would do what you are looking for?

What would it be in such a setup that you are not content with?

arquis

Considering that a playlist is just a 'dumb' list of songs, and it does not have an understanding, nor keeps track of playing/played/to play, it will be the Now Playing list that is most appropriate for what you are trying to achieve.

That is true, but there's really no need for anything else - I simply want use the search function to jump to a particular playlist entry and continue playing from that point onwards and that's it. The way it's done in Winamp for instance. No need for bells and whistles, just being able to tell MusicBee not to create a queue out of the search results. I.e. have a "jump to track in source" option in the Preferences > Now Playing > 'Play Now' action section.

What about creating a tab that has the now playing panel as the main panel, with its search bar at the top.
For as far as I understand that would do what you are looking for?

This would result in the issues outlined above, where a) the search bar is different from the global search - it jumps to the first found result instead of presenting a list, and b) there is no hotkey for jumping to the playing track in the now playing list. There are only hotkeys for playlists and the playing tracks section.

hiccup

I simply want use the search function to jump to a particular playlist entry and continue playing from that point onwards and that's it.
Because of the intrinsic difference between a playlist and the now playing list I think chances are small something like that would get implemented.

Enhancing the global search function by adding 'Now Playing list' as a search condition in addition to the existing 'Local Node Only' and 'Entire Library' options seems more feasible to me.
Perhaps create a wishlist topic for that?

edit:
Or, what might be more consistent and more logical: have some extra options for the Now Playing search function, such as being able to define which tags to search, and have a toggle for 'jump to first match'/'list matches'.
Last Edit: December 13, 2021, 06:29:52 PM by hiccup

arquis

Enhancing the global search function by adding 'Now Playing list' as a search condition in addition to the existing 'Local Node Only' and 'Entire Library' options seems more feasible to me.
Perhaps create a wishlist topic for that?

edit:
Or, what might be more consistent and more logical: have some extra options for the Now Playing search function, such as being able to define which tags to search, and have a toggle for 'jump to first match'/'list matches'.

I think both are good ideas. I am quite surprised this is a missing feature and not a bug/my oversight. If you think a topic in the wishlist section is the best way to go about having this functionality implemented then I'll do that.