Author Topic: Feature Request... Make "Instrumental" music interpreted as NOT needing Lyrics.  (Read 7688 times)

leeuniverse

I know there's a checkbox when saving lyrics within MusicBee itself in which you can say a particular file has no lyrics, and then it's ignored.
But, I'm looking for a more "song file" centric solution...  The above isn't necessarily "permanent" the moment you remove your database what you set is gone.

One way I was thinking this could be done is if a music file has a tag in it that says "Instrumental", could there be some sort of "reading" function put within MusicBee which reads that information and "ignores" the file in relation to missing lyrics?  For example, maybe a solution is to have it part of the "Show Files with missing Lyrics" function, since it already looks for missing lyrics, it can also check to see if that particular file is "Instrumental" or not?

Is there an existing tag which exists which says Instrumental that's supposed to be in files?
Would we have to be sure to add one?  (I'm a newb messing with audio files)
What are our potential solutions...?

Anyway, I have a lot of instrumental music, and being likely a bit OCD, I just don't want to be bothered with them.  I want them out of sight out of mind when I'm addressing files that actually need lyrics.

Thoughts?  Thanks

phred

• Global Moderator
A request which would only waste Steven's time. You already know there's a check box for 'no lylrics' so I suggest using it. In another thread it's already been explained to you how to create a highlight rule to display tracks with no lyrics.

You can create a custom tag for 'instrumental' and search using that. Then when you have all the instrumentals displayed, mark them all with 'no lyrics.'

The tools already exist to do this.

In addition, you can add
Code
<LYP_NoLyricsText>Spoken Word, Instrumental, or No Lyrics</LYP_NoLyricsText>
to MusicBee3Settings.ini (found in the AppData directory where MB is installed)
which will display this in the lyrics panel:
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I know you are tagging from MusicBrainz, so I suggest using the zxx language tag for "no lyrics", which will already be tagged on files with correctly configured works. That will be saved in the file, and you can easily create an auto-playlist to find the files and mark them as having no lyrics in bulk.

I have an auto-playlist for identifying instrumentals, which pulls in anything that's been marked as no lyrics ("Lyrics?" starts with N) as well as anything with Language = zxx. I display the Lyrics? column in that playlist so I can easily see if there are ones that I still need to mark.
Last Edit: October 09, 2021, 06:28:34 AM by psychoadept
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Zak

• Global Moderator
A request which would only waste Steven's time. You already know there's a check box for 'no lylrics' so I suggest using it.
I'm not sure why disagreeing with a wishlist request needs to be quite so harsh.

Besides that, as some whose library is about 25% instrumental, I think this would be useful so:
+1

The easiest way is to allow users to specify Genre values that should automatically be considered as having no lyrics.
Instrumental is an obvious one, but it would be nice to include things like Spoken Word, Classical, Score etc. too.

This wouldn't be difficult to implement and doesn't require users to tag all every single instrumental track.
It also removes the potential for that information to be lost when creating a new library or database.
Bee excellent to each other...

hiccup

Instrumental is an obvious one, but it would be nice to include things like Spoken Word, Classical, Score etc. too.
At least two of these three will or can have lyrics?

But if somebody does have a system where his genre tags imply a song having lyrics or not, these genre tags will not get lost with a new library or database, and a virtual tag can easily be used and re-implemented to achieve something like this.

So to me personally, same as phred, I don't see added value in it.

Zak

• Global Moderator
Then pick some other values to use as an example if mine don't suit. I'm saying if something were to be implemented, it is always more useful to allow the user to specify values for settings like this, than having just one hard-coded in.

But if somebody does have a system where his genre tags imply a song having lyrics or not, these genre tags will not get lost with a new library or database, and a virtual tag can easily be used and re-implemented to achieve something like this.
Um... that's the point I'm making. The Mark as having no lyrics doesn't create a tag, so I can only assume it is saved to the database and dependent on the file path. Make a new library and you'll have to mark all your instrumental tracks again. Having something based on the genre tag (or another tag) can be used regardless of library or location.
Bee excellent to each other...

leeuniverse

A request which would only waste Steven's time. You already know there's a check box for 'no lylrics' so I suggest using it. In another thread it's already been explained to you how to create a highlight rule to display tracks with no lyrics.

You can create a custom tag for 'instrumental' and search using that. Then when you have all the instrumentals displayed, mark them all with 'no lyrics.'

The tools already exist to do this.

In addition, you can add
Code
<LYP_NoLyricsText>Spoken Word, Instrumental, or No Lyrics</LYP_NoLyricsText>
to MusicBee3Settings.ini (found in the AppData directory where MB is installed)
which will display this in the lyrics panel:

1. I address issues I'm having, and also put it open for discussion so a solution can actually be found and had in which can work with MusicBee.
You can call that "wasting someone's time" if you want, I call it addressing an issue I have found with dealing with my music files and in relation to lyrics and this program.

2. And I responded to you in that other thread that your solution doesn't actually address the issue I was talking about.  It's a nice new way of "seeing" what files might not have lyrics, but doesn't at all address what I was requesting and had a problem with.

3. Okay, now we are getting into something productive to the thread...
So, are you saying I can add my OWN custom Tag to all my Instrumental music files, and then of course I can highlight them all and of course it the "No Lyrics" choice?
Great...  This sounds like a reasonable manual solution... as a workaround.

Someone else mentioned "Genres"...  Would this actually be the ideal solution?  I just add the term there?  It's a good idea...

Ultimately, eventually like we have for other things, it would be good for there to be a function in place per my OP.
For the program to automatically ignore files that have the words "instrumental" in them when doing a Lyrics Search.  Or if there's another way.

But, thank you for providing a solution...  I just have to make sure I've got those words in all my files.

leeuniverse

I know you are tagging from MusicBrainz, so I suggest using the zxx language tag for "no lyrics", which will already be tagged on files with correctly configured works. That will be saved in the file, and you can easily create an auto-playlist to find the files and mark them as having no lyrics in bulk.

I have an auto-playlist for identifying instrumentals, which pulls in anything that's been marked as no lyrics ("Lyrics?" starts with N) as well as anything with Language = zxx. I display the Lyrics? column in that playlist so I can easily see if there are ones that I still need to mark.

I will have to research this...  I've never seen that tag even though I've used MB Picard to fully tag all my files as I like.
Thank you for the info...

leeuniverse

A request which would only waste Steven's time. You already know there's a check box for 'no lylrics' so I suggest using it.
I'm not sure why disagreeing with a wishlist request needs to be quite so harsh.

Besides that, as some whose library is about 25% instrumental, I think this would be useful so:
+1

The easiest way is to allow users to specify Genre values that should automatically be considered as having no lyrics.

This wouldn't be difficult to implement and doesn't require users to tag all every single instrumental track.
It also removes the potential for that information to be lost when creating a new library or database.

Yes, this is what I was looking for as to "ideas" on how we could get this to work.

This is what I was thinking as well...  We of course would have to make sure our tags are "correct".
But, a simple check by the "Show Files with Lyrics" function should be able to be implemented, for it to "ignore" the files which have those classifications/tags.

I'm coming at this as someone who's putting together his collection, and this is something I ran into using MusicBee that would be helpful.
So, I posted the request...

I wish people wouldn't take things so "personally"...  I ran into a problem, would like solutions.  That's all.  Thank you for your support.

leeuniverse

So to me personally, same as phred, I don't see added value in it.

1. Yes, this would be a potential problem...  Using the tags can be "imperfect".
So, that's one reason why I'm looking for ideas and solutions on this...

2. Yes, the solution phred provided is a solution that should work.
But, as has also been discussed, are there ways this can be done automatically, so instrumental files can just be ignored?
Genre tags might not be the solution especially since they can be imperfect and mean different things.

So, what about a "custom tag" solution that's made "standard" in the industry, and then MusicBee or any other program can use it to "ignore" those files?

frankz

I wish people wouldn't take things so "personally"...  I ran into a problem, would like solutions.  That's all.  Thank you for your support.
I think the resistance to your posts has more to do with your unbearably obnoxious manner than the actual content. Don't take it "personally."

phred

• Global Moderator
So, what about a "custom tag" solution that's made "standard" in the industry, and then MusicBee or any other program can use it to "ignore" those files?
I suggest  you go to the Wiki and search for custom tags. Then come back here and search for custom tags in the forum.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I will have to research this...  I've never seen that tag even though I've used MB Picard to fully tag all my files as I like.
Thank you for the info...

Like I said, it depends on the work being correct for it to happen automatically. See what you get if you load this track in Picard: https://beta.musicbrainz.org/recording/f610a21f-8a83-4786-98db-4a004d4e5bf0

But, a simple check by the "Show Files with Lyrics" function should be able to be implemented, for it to "ignore" the files which have those classifications/tags.

I suggest you check out the "Lyrics?" column for helping you review tracks with or without lyrics. As you've discovered, the "Show Files with Missing Lyrics" filter has some limitations (as do others like it), and Steven hasn't shown much inclination to spend a lot of time on them. With the exception of some artwork-related stuff, there's usually a more flexible way to achieve the same thing.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

leeuniverse

I wish people wouldn't take things so "personally"...  I ran into a problem, would like solutions.  That's all.  Thank you for your support.
I think the resistance to your posts has more to do with your unbearably obnoxious manner than the actual content. Don't take it "personally."

Peoples imagination are not my problem...  There has been nothing "improper" in my posts.  I have remained completely professional, simply relaying issues I've encountered.
Period.  If there's something you can actually point to as a "problem" in my speech, then I can correct it.  Otherwise, I'm simply stating my experience, nothing more nothing less.
Addressing issues doesn't automatically translate into "unbearably obnoxious"....  If you think so, then point out the actual statement I've made which classifies as such?

So, they can take my words "personally" but I shouldn't their personal attacks?  It's just like your statement here, you made a personal attack, addressing nothing of substance related to the thread.
But I have a thick skin, others however clearly need to stop reading into things, there was NOTHING ever "personal" in my posts here.  They are simple issues and facts.  Period.
I get people don't like others intruding on their territory, but some people need to think on if that's the proper response to people coming in peace with issues they encounter.   That is all.