Author Topic: FEATURE REQUEST:optional mode, Library synchronization to Monitored Folders only  (Read 963 times)

ultradust

MusicBee is, in my view, the world's best music player and organizer. Thanks to Steven and other contributors for such a wonderful tool.

Background of Request

Edit Preferences > Monitored Folders allows the user to specify folders that are monitored for the purposes of adding their contents to the Library.

Some users have an organization method where only certain folders, as specified in the Monitored Folders, should be in the Library.

The problem for those users is, even if a folder is removed from "Monitored Folders", the Library continues to include the files from the folders removed from "Monitored Folders." There does not seem to be a straightforward way to force the Library to simply remain synced to the files in the Monitored Folders, and only those.

It has been suggested that the user can display "Path" and manually remove files, but for certain workflow use cases, it is too tedious and time consuming to have to manually do this.

Also, at:
https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?action=post;topic=36285.0;last_msg=198764
it was suggested to use auto playlists to achieve the desired results.
This does work, but it requires manual effort to repeatedly clean the folders.

Feature Request

It would be very helpful if MusicBee offered an optional mode which automatically kept the Library synchronized to only those files included in the current Monitored Folders. In this mode, MusicBee would automatically remove any Library items associated with folders removed from Monitored Folders.

Zak

• Global Moderator
Might have misunderstood the request, but isn't that what on startup check for updated or missing files is for?
To remove files from the library that are no longer found at their original location?

One potential issue I see with files being removed automatically is for files on external drives.
If the drive is disconnected MusicBee might wipe the library clean.
Bee excellent to each other...

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
isn't that what on startup check for updated or missing files is for?
To remove files from the library that are no longer found at their original location?

Scanning on startup only checks files IN the monitored folders, and only removes them from the library if the files are no longer present.

As I understand it, this request would remove files from the library, regardless of whether they still exist, if they are NOT in the monitored folders. As long as it only removes them from the library and doesn't delete them, I don't see a problem with it as an optional setting, although it would probably be wise to offer a confirmation dialogue similar to the current one about removing missing files.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Steven

• Administrator
my understanding of this is the same as psychoadept's
but i am not getting why it would be useful on an on-going basis ie. once any files outside the monitored folders are removed from the library, MB would only add/remove files in the monitored folders as currently implemented.

Could someone who wants this explain why they need this so i can make an assessment whether its generally useful?

ultradust

Thanks to all have responded, and Steven, thank you for taking the time to review this request.

Over the past couple years, several use cases have come up where this feature would be incredibly useful. A few examples:

1. A radio station uses MusicBee for certain production purposes and wants to limit the Library to a specific set of files at any given time, fed through automation into 3 specific folders and synced routinely. The station personnel only have time to feed the folders and do not have time to adjust the MusicBee library manually.

2. An online music reviewer deals with tens of thousands of albums and wants to keep various instances of albums (various pressings, versions, etc.) in the MusicBee Library at certain times via many monitored folders, using MusicBee functionality for various file processing  and ease-of-review purposes, but then needs to completely clear out these Library entries periodically with folder removal. An automated process as described would help immensely; the current steps required are too manual.

3. Many users work to refine their audio collections over time and prefer to keep a "gold standard" set of folders which define the "correct" versions of the collections. Sometimes work is done on those folders which can sometimes result in unwanted duplicates or alternate versions in the Library, and sometimes the results are too messy to deal with manually. An automated sync-Library-to-Monitored-Folders feature would resolve this challenge.

There are many more cases that could be listed.

Responding to items noted above:

One potential issue I see with files being removed automatically is for files on external drives.
If the drive is disconnected MusicBee might wipe the library clean.

True. Perhaps MusicBee could recognize whether the drive itself is available to the system or not, and only take action per this feature if (a) the drive becomes accessible again and (b) indeed a Monitored Folder has been changed.

As long as it only removes them from the library and doesn't delete them, I don't see a problem with it as an optional setting, although it would probably be wise to offer a confirmation dialogue similar to the current one about removing missing files.

The confirmation dialogue sounds like a good idea.

Thanks again for your consideration of this feature. It would truly be helpful in a wide range of situations.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I'm still not opposed to the request, but the situations you describe could be handled with filters or auto-playlists based on folders, too. Not like I described before, auto-playlists that will find files to remove, but auto-playlists that point to specific folders to include.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)