Author Topic: "Ignore words" strange behavior  (Read 1845 times)

Boll Weevil

Hi!
I'm not sure if it is a bug, so I first ask, maybe somebody could help.
I have several words and symbols to ignore in sorting, here they are
Code
A, The, ", ', (, )
Generally it works well but I discovered that in some cases it don't work as expected. I guess that it is because only the first occurrence of "ignored" word is actually ignored, other occurrencies in the same line not ignored. And because of that sometimes some weird results occur.
Please see attached screenshot of left main panel to better understanding. You can see some lines that in my expectations should come one after another according to the underline color, but they are scattered over the list.

Steven

• Administrator
You are right in that it only looks at the starting text. I doubt I would change that

Boll Weevil

Thanks for answer. Sad.
I switched to MusicBee from MediaMonkey, it ignores all the occurrences of mentioned words and symbols and sorts the lists in more logical way. It seems that it is the only reason why I still keep MM on my PC. I have a big job to be done by implementing a specific tag for a single common name for artists with many name variants, aliases, misspellings and typos. MusicBee could help a lot in it.

hiccup

I have a big job to be done by implementing a specific tag for a single common name for artists with many name variants, aliases, misspellings and typos. MusicBee could help a lot in it.
While I can relate to your challenge at hand, handling misspellings and typos in my opinion is not something that should be a burden on the slate of MusicBee.
For as far as the examples you presented, you can use search and replace to remove the double quotes for these artists.

If you care about having both the names as being written on the original release (whether it being a misspelling, or it having changed over time or on different releases) and a 'uniform' name that you could use for sorting and filtering, you could use a custom tag.

Boll Weevil

The files tagged with all these typos, misspellings, aliases etc. intentionally - as they were put on the original releases of a certain song. I do it from the very beginning. This is important for research purposes. But for cataloguing this is a mess - I simply just cant count how many artists I have in library, that's why I decided to implement a new tag for my files in which should be stored most common name for an artist.
For example there was a prominent rock & roll / rockabilly / blues known professionally as Billy Lee Riley During his over 50 years career he recorded under countless names and aliases:

Solo:
Bill Riley
Billy Riley
Billy Lee Riley
Darron Lee
Daaron Lee
Lightnin' Leon
Good Jelly Bess
Skip Wiley

In groups:
Billy Lee Riley & The Spooks(*)
Billy (Lee*) Riley & The (His*) Little Green Men
The Megatons
The Rockin' Stockin(*)
The Spitfires
*name variations exist

With guest musicians:
Billy Lee Riley With The Bellhops

List is not intended to be complete

I can't just name all that stuff Billy Lee Riley, because for me every typo matters.

And this is just one example.

Custom tag is what I'm going to use for what you call "uniform" name for quick search. Option to completely ignore mentioned words and symbols just makes it easier to locate all the name variations in Artists list and makes my job a little easier

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Turning on custom sorting would allow you to set sort values for all the variations, and save a little work vs a custom tag because you'd only have to enter the custom sort value once for each variation. If you want it saved to the file, you could still use Sort Artist, just without turning on custom sorting. Or maybe Original Artist, if you're not using that already.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Boll Weevil

I would rather keep this value in file tags because of many reasons. You're right, ORIGINALARTIST seems like the most suitable tag for this purpose, and it is available in MB by default. Anyway, a custom tag for original album artist is still required. ARTISTSORT and ALBUMARTISTSORT should be used for what they intended, and this job is to be done using values stored in "original artist" tag.