Author Topic: Strange error with Paths  (Read 1219 times)

tangotonyb

I use MusicBeePortable on both my desktop and my laptop. When I travel, I sync the library on a portable drive from my desktop - work with it while I'm away and then sync it back to my desktop on return.

The complete paths for the music files are the same no matter which machine I use. The only difference between the two, now corrected is the musicbee application is stored in a slightly different path along with the library files and playlists.

Recently, I've noticed that the paths to the music files are sometimes altered when I update from one to the other and I have to use the "Relink music file paths" function to correct them. The pattern is that if say my music files are located on E:\MyMusic and on my desktop my library is located in E:\Apps\DJ Music and on the laptop drive in E:\DJ Music, then when I sync the files back from my laptop drive to my desktop, the music files are all listed as in E:\Apps\MyMusic which doesn't exist. I fix this with the Relink function as mentioned above, but here's the strange bit: I have playlists in folders - if I select a playlist that I created on the laptop then despite using relink paths, all the tracks in the playlist are listed on the wrong path and are unplayable, but if I instead select the folder containing the faulty playlist, all the music files within are now in the correct place and are playable!

Edit - to correct a playlist - e.g. one not in a folder, or in a folder with lots of others,  I've found I can create a new empty folder X and move the faulty playlist inside. Then I create a new playlist and drag the contents of the folder X into the newly created playlist. So presumably MusicBee doesn't store absolute paths within a playlist, but uses a relative path and calculates the absolute path differently depending on whether you're viewing the playlist itself, or a folder.

Last Edit: September 21, 2021, 01:50:08 PM by tangotonyb