Author Topic: Help with ripping and apostrophes  (Read 2630 times)

FuzzyLogic

I've been ripping all my CD's to MusicBee and mostly it's going well. I have encountered an issue with tags that contain apostrophes. My Yamaha receiver as well as my car stereo cannot display any apostrophe except the vertical one. There apparently is a left and right 'leaning' apostrophe and these are causing issues for me. The Yamaha displays these as an apostrophe followed by a space (even though there is no space in the data) and the car stereo displays them as an *. I would like to prevent alternate versions of the apostrophe showing up in my tags but can't seen to find a way to do this. Additionally attempting to find these aberrant apostrophes have proved fruitless to me. When viewing them in MusicBee they all appear the same and searching also doesn't appear to be able to discern between them either.

How can I prevent this and fix my existing tags. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

phred

• Global Moderator
Use MB's tools > tagging tools > search and replace.
Copy one of the 'bad' apostrophes and paste it in the search for field.
Select the tag in which to search.
Copy one of the 'good' apostrophes and paste it in the replace with field.
Test with a couple of tracks to make sure it's doing what you want. When satisfied, select all the files and run it again.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

FuzzyLogic

This doesn't appear to work for me. Nothing changes. If I search for any variation of the apostrophe the same results are returned (it seems MusicBee treats them all as the same). If I have two songs the same but with different apostrophes they show up twice in the drop down menu when editing but appear the same?! I'm wondering if it's a font issue and I should use a different font.

Additionally this doesn't prevent new ripped music from using alternate forms of the apostrophe. Really frustrating.

tangotonyb

Suggest you search and replace ALL apostrophes with a character that is unused anywhere in that field - e.g. ^
Then search and replace the character you've just used with the apostrophe format that you want to keep.

FuzzyLogic

I've considered this but still doesn't fix my ongoing issue when ripping new CD's. Currently I manually edit any fields with apostrophes. There's got to be a better way.

FuzzyLogic

Just to follow up.

I did a search for the offending apostrophe and found close to 5K results (as far as I can tell this is every song with any form of apostrophe in the tags). I then selected these and did a search and replace with the problem apostrophe and the one I want and it only replaced ~700 items (displayed in the status bar)?! Maybe it worked but it's seems impossible to determine this in MusicBee. I really need a way to properly identify the offending characters. I also need to do the search and replace for any newly ripped CD's as I can't seem to tell the difference in MusicBee between the various forms of this character.

captain_paranoia

I did just this recently, whilst converting my entire library to MP3 for portable use after a fairly major re-ripping exercise (~600 discs). I use MediaMonkey for bulk file transcoding (blushes), and its MP3 tagger reports it cannot save tags with certain characters, and halts until you hit 'okay'. So it's handy to weed out illegal characters, like L/R single quotes, n-dashes, wacky double quotes, etc. that get downloaded from metadata engines.

I found the Tools/Tagging Tools/Search & Replace worked exactly as expected; it found the problem characters, and replaced them, reporting how many files it had modified (in the status bar). I do have the 'Additional Tagging Tools' plugin installed; not sure whether I'm using the stock tools, or the additional tools. checks: nope; I'm using the standard tools.

If I now try to find any L or R single quotes, none are found; I've already removed them.

Maybe you are not picking up the actual offending character; I picked it up using MS Word/Insert Character/Special character

My library is ~80k tracks, and the searches were pretty quick; just a few seconds.

phred

• Global Moderator
Tools/Tagging Tools/Search & Replace
Is MB's stock Search & Replace Tool.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here