Author Topic: plug ins  (Read 3368 times)

rumblee1

i have a brand new samsung galaxy book flex 2 alpha.  when i try to download a plugin, my security stops it and deems it dangerous.  why?  PS happens with all plugins. 

hiccup

Just curious:
Why are you naming this very specific brand and model?
I am asking since you are the second new member that names this exact same make and model computer in his very first post here.
Are you indeed a MusicBee user of flesh and blood?
Not some weird type of advertising bot?

phred

• Global Moderator
Just curious
Very curious.
The other user who mentioned this model created a thread which got a few responses but never responded to any of the replies the post generated. S/he registered on the forum and made the first and only post on September 7. But most recently logged in yesterday.

Methinks we've got a bot here. Unfortunately with the recent update of the forum we (The Mods) can no longer see the IP address of the poster. But then again, if both posts were bot-generated, there would most likely be different IPs.

My money is on a bot.
Last Edit: September 20, 2021, 07:36:51 PM by phred
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

hiccup

Either that, or the Samsung galaxy book flex 2 alpha is a very problematic piece of hardware, best to be avoided.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
To be fair, both Windows and many browsers DO tend to flag/block "low reputation" software. Lately I've been having to tell Windows that MusicBee is safe, every time I install a patch. There's probably a way to disable that, I just thought I'd found them all previously.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

hiccup

To be fair, …
That surely would apply to humans.
But my suspicion here is that these posts were created by spambots.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
It could be, for the reasons given. I didn't see the other post and can't find it now. But other than the product placement it doesn't trip my spam sensors.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

hiccup

I hate to feed this, but if you do a forum search for 'samsung galaxy book flex 2 alpha' you will find two posts.
Both by one-time posters.

Any first forum post naming a specific brand and model surely triggers my spam sensors.

Until one of these 'posters' responds, and by doing so showing that I am wrong, I am personally convinced that the samsung galaxy book flex 2 alpha is a shit product with many issues, and Samsung somehow degraded itself to mitigate its losses on the product by spamming our beloved forum.
Last Edit: September 20, 2021, 09:54:38 PM by hiccup

phred

• Global Moderator
There's probably a way to disable that
Whitelist in your AV software?  :)

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I hate to feed this, but if you do a forum search for 'samsung galaxy book flex 2 alpha' you will find two posts.

You know, I did try that, and only found this one. (And now your additional post.) I tend to agree with you, just pointing out that the complaint itself isn't unlikely. I even tried googling that part to see if it was copied from somewhere, but no results.

Whitelist in your AV software?  :)

:D  It does seem to be a Windows Defender thing. It may be that it got going again when I switched to this new laptop, which was around the beginning of the year. As far as I can tell, it gets reset everytime I update the file, although that hasn't been nearly as often as usual this year so it hadn't triggered me to try to find a solution yet.

Actually, I had to change two things: disable the "Check Apps and Files" setting in Windows Security, and (because I'm using Windows 10 Pro) fiddle with a setting in the group policy editor. Now I'm not getting the message anymore. I just have to be smart enough not to run bad software, lol.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

hiccup

You know, I did try that, and only found this one.
https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=35504.msg194170#msg194170
Maybe it is the same person, and he created two different accounts to raise his issues.

rumblee1

well i tried aimp, and flac player and they both worked .  so the issue us definitely musicbee

phred

• Global Moderator
What version of MB are you using? (Help > About)
How was MB installed? (Store, Installer, Portable)
Are Aimp and Flac Player both on your Windows PC?

I'm not clear on where the security flag is coming from? Is it Windows that's putting out the alert?

The problem is not "definitely" with MB as tens of thousands of users have been downloading and using MB plugins for many years and not one has said that all plugins are being flagged by their security software. It would appear that the issue is being caused by your security software or something else on your laptop.

Try this as a test: download the plugin in question and extract the files to a temporary location before moving to MB's plugin directory. Whitelist the DLL(s) that you extracted and then move them to the plugin directory.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki