Author Topic: Need for multiple Musicbee windows  (Read 6592 times)

Mike89

When using vlc player  I usually have my audiobook open, podcast on another window, tv show in other and whatever.

Im thinking just how great it would be if I could open new windows on musicbee. Could scroll my black metal playlist open is one window, instrumental playlist in another, playing a podcast episode in one, audiobook in other and just could play and stop them all however I feel like. That would be a perfection. Lets do it?

Zak

• Global Moderator
MusicBee already lets you open multiple tabs and it seems like they would let you do more or less the same thing.
Bee excellent to each other...

Mike89

MusicBee already lets you open multiple tabs and it seems like they would let you do more or less the same thing.

Sure but tabs are not even close to same thing though. Imagine listening to audiobook then switching to music and then later coming back to audiobook. Lots of searching, clicking and quitting with tabs. With different windows everything would stay just as is how you left it. Same thing with different kind of genres. With multiple windows you would have multiple -now playing- lists.

frankz

Sure but tabs are not even close to same thing though. Imagine listening to audiobook then switching to music and then later coming back to audiobook. Lots of searching, clicking and quitting with tabs. With different windows everything would stay just as is how you left it. Same thing with different kind of genres. With multiple windows you would have multiple -now playing- lists.
This is exactly how tabs work. 

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
It would be really nice to be able to show different tabs in different windows (and therefore monitors), so +1

In the meantime, you might find it helpful to have multiple installations if you do significantly different things with different parts of your library. You can actually have as many separate portable installations as you want. I frequently run two, one for my main library and one for my archive.
Last Edit: September 20, 2021, 07:09:40 PM by psychoadept
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Mike89

It would be really nice to be able to show different tabs in different windows (and therefore monitors), so +1

In the meantime, you might find it helpful to have multiple installations if you do significantly different things with different parts of your library. You can actually have as many separate portable installations as you want. I frequently run two. one for my main library and one for my archive.

Alright man. Were getting somewhere here. Thanks. This is what Im talking about. Now I have two Musicbees. Different windows. Do you know if I can bring my settings from main MB to secondary MB? What do you think, were those two guys before you kidding with me saying that tabs are same that separate windows?

Mike89

This is great. Three MB installations, three windows. My death metal playing in 1st, podcast 2nd, audiobook 3rd. Not the same as tabs. Three different players now. No need to see them all at once of course, screenshot on ultrawide just for illustration.

hiccup

You can also create different global hotkeys for 'View: Show Main Player' for each running portable version.
Then you can quickly switch between them.
ctrl+alt+m for 'music'
ctrl+alt+p for 'podcasts'
etc.

Mike89

You can also create different global hotkeys for 'View: Show Main Player' for each running portable version.
Then you can quickly switch between them.
ctrl+alt+m for 'music'
ctrl+alt+p for 'podcasts'
etc.

Helpful. Appreciated.

hiccup

Thank you for making me think of this ;-)
I often have more than one MB instance running, and usually click the wrong taskbar tab to open one.
(same as you will always plug in a usb2 connector the wrong way the first time)

Zak

• Global Moderator
What do you think, were those two guys before you kidding with me saying that tabs are same that separate windows?
I was trying to let you down easy instead of saying that what you requested was a shit-tonne of work for a niche user scenario that doesn't justify that work, and therefore unlikely to be implemented in your lifetime.

But if you want to subject your computer to your ADHD media consumption practices and run multiple copies of every program, go nuts.
I won't stop you.

-edit-
The ability to show a tab in a separate window would be much less work than entirely separate program windows and could address some more general multi-purpose scenarios. There will still only be one player instance though, so it wouldn't help with something like pausing an audiobook halfway through to listen to music.
Last Edit: September 21, 2021, 02:59:59 PM by Zak
Bee excellent to each other...

Mike89

What do you think, were those two guys before you kidding with me saying that tabs are same that separate windows?
I was trying to let you down easy instead of saying that what you requested was a shit-tonne of work for a niche user scenario that doesn't justify that work, and therefore unlikely to be implemented in your lifetime.

But if you want to subject your computer to your ADHD media consumption practices and run multiple copies of every program, go nuts.
I won't stop you.

-edit-
The ability to show a tab in a separate window would be much less work than entirely separate program windows and could address some more general multi-purpose scenarios. There will still only be one player instance though, so it wouldn't help with something like pausing an audiobook halfway through to listen to music.

Okay haha! Fair enough. Anyway totally happy now with 3 installations and I realized I can put different self made icon shown in taskbar for each program so its always clear which is which.