Author Topic: Play count bug  (Read 2933 times)

greedoe

The play count mechanism is broken. When I update the tracks I'm listening to with the actual play count from Last.fm, when I close down musicbee and reopen it (or wait a length of time) the corrected play counts disappear.

This has made things like a 50 most played playlist I created quite meaningless. My TOP track was apparently listened to 154 times, although checking Last.Fm I can tell it was listened to less than 5 times.

any fixes, suggestions to get this play count issue resolved?  I routinely listen to my daily mix as a random selection of play count = 0 tracks, but when listening to them, last.fm will tell me i've heard them any number of times.

phred

• Global Moderator
What version of MB are you using? (Help > About)
How was MB installed? (Store, Installer, Portable)
Have you checked Preferences > Now Playing > playback > play count?
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

greedoe

HI,  

Using version 3.4.7805 Store (from the MS Store) and there doesn't seem to be an option for play count under now playing.
Last Edit: September 15, 2021, 04:04:14 PM by greedoe

phred

• Global Moderator
Thanks for the info.

First thing I'd do is a Google search using this URL: https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Agetmusicbee.com%2Fforum+play+count
There are a good number of hits and I'm not going to read through them all. But I can't readily recall anyone else raising this issue before.

If you can't find anything via the search, I suggest getting rid of the Store version and using the Installer or (preferably) the Portable. First off, if it is truly a bug, it won't get fixed quickly since the Store version doesn't accept patched updates.

If you want to save your settings and panel arrangements so you can bring them into the Portable (or Installer) version:
Edit > Saved Settings > Save/Load Settings Snapshot
View > Import/Export > Export/Import Panel Arrangement

Get the latest 3.4 Portable from the forum Latest Version section and place it in a newly created directory - something like c:\MusicBee. Do not place it in any Windows-controlled directories (i.e. \Users.) Then apply the latest patch as shown in my signature below.

Understand that I am not saying using the Portable or Installer version will fix your issue, but getting rid of the Store version would be the first step in determining what's going on.

Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

frankz

Last.fm inconsistencies have been discussed many times on the forum.  

Delete %AppData%\Local\MusicBee\InternalCache\LastFmPlayCountCache.dat and resync your play counts from last.fm.

Also, this is not a bug.

greedoe

Thanks I've deleted that file. however my issue is not with syncing from Last.fm. I have files i haven't listened to over 100 times, but if I go into my top 50 played, it's there again. I go to Last.fm to see that I listened to it, not 154 times, but 5 times and update the playcount. next day - hey the top track in my top 50 is this track i've "listened to" 154 times. i am just wanting my play count to actually stay when I update it.

Currently using the new non -store version and the updates to playcount seem to be apply between days and between closing down the app and opening it again, so i'm hopeful it's just an issue with the MS store version.

stardepp

Delete %AppData%\Local\MusicBee\InternalCache\LastFmPlayCountCache.dat and resync your play counts from last.fm.

@frankz Thanks for this useful tip. 👌😎