Author Topic: Android 9>>10 change causes Empty Playlist - a MusicBee fix  (Read 1487 times)

Cliff_G

I've searched around here and found that the "update" from Android 9 to 10 breaks Playlists - the songs copy ok to the phone when syncing from MusicBee but in the phone's native player (Samsung Music in my case) the playlists are empty (0 songs).  There are multiple posts here explaining how to fix by hacking the .m3u file to add the full file pathname - but this presumably needs doing every time you re-sync any changes to the playlist.

My own workaround has been to start using Rocket Player on my phone, which being its usual brilliant self has no trouble and "just works".  However, it has certain user aspects I don't get on with that much.   Another fix I believe is to update Android to 11, but I'm holding back on that since there seems no other reason (other than this) to update and I am by nature a late adopter, by experience and often for good reason.  e.g. I don't actually know that on my Samsung the problem is fixed - it seems to be a generic Google fix; whether Samsung adopt it, who knows?

So, question is:  is there a way using Music Bee to get around this issue?  I've tried the usual - different file extensions, playlist locations, relative paths, and ensured I have the latest MusicBee.  I did find a zip file with a MusicBee patch but I don't know against which version that was so won't attempt that (for now) or if it will work with current version  ( https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=31225.msg173028#msg173028 ).

Any wise gurus out there?  TIA

phred

• Global Moderator
I'm having no issues with MB and GoneMad and .m3u playlists formerly with Android 9 and now 11. You can also try PowerAmp. Both GoneMad and PowerAmp also allow reverse syncing between the player and  MB using the MB WiFi Sync app on the Google Play Store.

What version of MB are you using? (Help > About)
How was MB installed? (Store, Installer, Portable)

If you're currently on MB 3.4.x you can apply the latest patch from my signature. The link you referenced showed a patch for v3.3 and the fixes in that patch would've been included in 3.4.
Last Edit: September 10, 2021, 11:55:27 AM by phred
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

Cliff_G

Hi phred.

I am on 3.4.7805, Installer version

Re your own experience, do you think it is working due to GoneMad or to a possible fix in Android 11?  (what device?)

I'll check the patch, thanks.  To install that do you unzip and copy the files over the top of the old ones?  TIA

phred

• Global Moderator
Re your own experience, do you think it is working due to GoneMad or to a possible fix in Android 11?  (what device?)
I'm on a Samsung A42 now but was using the S8 with Android OS 9 before that and again had no issues.

Note that GoneMad will not reverse sync play counts (and perhaps something else - search the forum.) I don't use/need reverse sync so GoneMad and Android 11 are working fine for me.

I'll check the patch, thanks.  To install that do you unzip and copy the files over the top of the old ones?  TIA
Yes. Just like it says in my signature.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here