Author Topic: mp3 tagging - text field entry suggestions. Can I delete them?  (Read 1280 times)

Carty

Hi all.

When I am editing the metadata tags, I get suggestions appear as I type my entry.  Is there anyway of controlling these?  Some of the suggestions are way off the mark and don't appear anywhere in my library.

For example, if I am tagging a compilation CD, and there's a track by The Beatles, when I tag the artist, various options appear, including "Beatles, The", which I never use anywhere in my library.  So I am not sure where MusicBee gets this from.  I have re-scanned my library again, and these 'ghost' suggestions still appear when I edit tags.

Sometimes the list is so long, I have to scroll quite a way down the list to get to "The Beatles".  (This list never used to be so long and seems to have appeared after an update earlier this year (maybe?).

Also, when I am adding a new album in a series (for example, "Volume 21"), MusicBee is only seeing the first 10 volumes of the series in its tag suggestions, and not all 20, which are added to and updated monthly).

What I would prefer, is for MusicBee to just suggest tags which are already in use, and up to date as I have previously entered them.

Hopefully there is a solution, lol.

(I hope that made sense).

Carty :)

Steven

• Administrator
The suggested values are based on values in files from your music library, audiobook, and the inbox. I have no plans to change that

Carty

Ah, ok, thanks for that.

If only unwanted entries like "Beatles, The" would vanish from these suggested text lists when I no longer have such a tag attached to any file in my library.  They seem to cling on forever.  :)

Steven

• Administrator
switch to tracks view and show the "Artists" field or use the custom search function
the values will be somewhere in one of your Music or Inbox files

edcase

Might be worth checking the 'Custom sort values for artist',

Not sure if it is pulled for tag suggestions but is easily overlooked.

MB>Edit>Preferences>Sorting/Grouping>[Artists...]

phred

• Global Moderator
switch to tracks view and show the "Artists" field or use the custom search function
the values will be somewhere in one of your Music or Inbox files
To add to what Steven said, the list is populated from entries that exist in your tags. Search as Steven suggests (Custom Search > Artist = Beatles, The) and then select all the files that are found with that tag. At this point you can edit all at once and change the tag to The Beatles. Or Beatles. Whatever you want. When you close MB and then reopen it, you will find that Beatles, The has been removed from the 'suggestions' that pop up.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here