Author Topic: have to install Windows 10 Media Control overlay plugin ?  (Read 3505 times)

gaiastar

Hi
i know silly question
recently i have updated windows 10 pro 64 bit august update , the last , few days ago , no avast or other antivirus installed ,only windows defender

i don't know maybe was windows defender (that did delete some files ) or some new feature , i  don't know , but musicbee did start to have some issue like hangs and crash ,the windows media control overlay stopped to work ,and very often i had to use process hacker to terminate

I had to disable windows defender , and after a reboot musicbee  work better , the Windows 10 Media Control overlay disapeard

so I have removed everything and i have re-installed and create a portable version of MusicBee 3.4.7805 from scratch  :-X  

i keept the settings but i wanted to have a clean install and a clean portable version

I have only 2 questions ?

1)
windows media control overlay , doesn't work  , should i download the plugin and install manually ?
because i was sure ,it was included in the musicbee installer

2) is there a way to perform a very clean install (never had such issue with w10 , under w7 64bit work great everything ) ?

thanks , appreciate your help in advance
Last Edit: August 22, 2021, 03:03:33 PM by gaiastar
MusicBee is the best audio player ever made, Love it ♫♫

sveakul

The Portable version does not include the W10 Media Control plugin by default (or any other plugin besides Theater Mode), you need to download and add it manually.  That plugin hasn't been updated in a while, and may or may not work with the latest iteration of Windows 10 (now 21H1 as far as a normal release).  It has its own thread in the Plugins forum you can check.

The "cleanest" install is to get rid of everything from any past attempt at installing MB first, then install the Portable version to a folder outside of the Windows control hierarchy, like C:\MusicBee.  Then at first run create your library from scratch, and re-do (not import) all the settings, which may have changed anyway from earlier versions.  Time consuming, but worth it, and you get to discover parts of the GUI you may not have noticed before.

Be sure to whitelist/exclude the entire MusicBee portable folder, and whatever folders your music files are stored in, in Windows Defender.

You should also install the latest patch file from phred/psychoadept's signature line.

Finally, be sure your audio device drivers are updated with the latest package from the manufacturer.  If you later encounter problems with playing some specific file type (for example M4A/AAC), post to the forum, as there are extra steps you can try.
Last Edit: August 22, 2021, 09:56:51 PM by sveakul

gaiastar

The Portable version does not include the W10 Media Control plugin by default (or any other plugin besides Theater Mode), you need to download and add it manually.  That plugin hasn't been updated in a while, and may or may not work with the latest iteration of Windows 10 (now 21H1 as far as a normal release).  It has its own thread in the Plugins forum you can check.

The "cleanest" install is to get rid of everything from any past attempt at installing MB first, then install the Portable version to a folder outside of the Windows control hierarchy, like C:\MusicBee.  Then at first run create your library from scratch, and re-do (not import) all the settings, which may have changed anyway from earlier versions.  Time consuming, but worth it, and you get to discover parts of the GUI you may not have noticed before.

Be sure to whitelist/exclude the entire MusicBee portable folder, and whatever folders your music files are stored in, in Windows Defender.

You should also install the latest patch file from phred/psychoadept's signature line.

Finally, be sure your audio device drivers are updated with the latest package from the manufacturer.  If you later encounter problems with playing some specific file type (for example M4A/AAC), post to the forum, as there are extra steps you can try.
Hi Sveakul , appreciate a lot your help
well , in safe mode i have uninstalled musicbee and i have used a boot live cd to delete all the folder relalted to musicbee , reboot -> search in the registry and deteled some folders
installed the musicbee on a different partition , and detele all the subkeys in the registry of Audio\PolicyConfig\PropertyStore
now musicbee works!! :)  Maybe it could help other users
what do you mean download from the homepage get musicbee or download from the author Steve's signature (it's the same of the homepage) ?
in the lastest subforum the versions are the same
thanks Sveaku

sveakul

Hi gaiastar:  the link to the patch (https://getmusicbee.com/patches/MusicBee34_Patched.zip) appears at the bottom of every post made by global moderators phred and psychoadept, along with the instructions "Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files."  Which means unzip the files/folders contained in the patch (there will just be a few--whatever got updated) into your MusicBee portable folder, and let them overwrite any files of the same name that exist there now.

The patch contents are updated frequently, but the link to/name of the patch does not change.

gaiastar

Hi gaiastar:  the link to the patch (https://getmusicbee.com/patches/MusicBee34_Patched.zip) appears at the bottom of every post made by global moderators phred and psychoadept, along with the instructions "Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files."  Which means unzip the files/folders contained in the patch (there will just be a few--whatever got updated) into your MusicBee portable folder, and let them overwrite any files of the same name that exist there now.

The patch contents are updated frequently, but the link to/name of the patch does not change.
hi Sveakul
can i share the musicbee database/library with a portable version or using dual boot windows 10 and 7 installation musicbee on the same computer?
may i know which folder should I share ?
i want to share only database not settings
would love to share the folder InternalCache\  , is really huge , can i do it?
thanks!
Last Edit: August 23, 2021, 06:41:29 PM by gaiastar

sveakul

I'm one of those "solo operators" as far as PCs and anything I tried to tell you about sharing a library would be guess work.  I know there are users here who do that all the time so hopefully they will chime in and help you out.  There are a ton of posts about this so the best place to start would be a search on the Forum.

frankz

Put the portable version in a folder and share it on your network.
Share the folder with your music files and (if they're different) the folder with your *.mbl library folder
**ALWAYS run MB from the network location EVEN ON THE LOCAL COMPUTER WHERE YOU HAVE IT**  (i.e. all of your links should be to \\SHARENAME\MusicBee.exe, never C:\\MusicBee\Musicbee.exe)
You can't run it on more than one computer at the same time. Make sure it's closed everywhere else before opening it.

gaiastar

Put the portable version in a folder and share it on your network.
Share the folder with your music files and (if they're different) the folder with your *.mbl library folder
**ALWAYS run MB from the network location EVEN ON THE LOCAL COMPUTER WHERE YOU HAVE IT**  (i.e. all of your links should be to \\SHARENAME\MusicBee.exe, never C:\\MusicBee\Musicbee.exe)
You can't run it on more than one computer at the same time. Make sure it's closed everywhere else before opening it.
hi
i don't know how share a folder in my network , i should watch some tutorials
but if i have an external hard disk or 2 operation system on my comptuer and the AppData folder on 3 partition (so w10 and w7 could read it ) could i create a link of the folder InternalCache , and copy the link should work
i have tried without luck , at least i would like to share the InternalCache folder , because is really huge

maybe is there a way to edit the MusicBee3Settings.ini to set the location of the folder , would be great
thanks
Last Edit: August 23, 2021, 07:54:46 PM by gaiastar

sveakul

Just a couple of quick comments, the library file isn't located in the InternalCache folder, it's located in "Library" folder, which is what I thought you wanted to share.  And, I'm sure the reason that the InternalCache folder is so huge is because it's full of lyrics, album covers, and artist backdrops. You can clear that easy using the batch command I posted about this a while back (no time to dig that up right now) or by deleting the contents manually.  They will get recreated as necessary.

frankz

In the portable version of Musicbee, the internal cache folder is inside the same folder with the Exe.  It's self-contained.

Sorry I can only advise on how to do it the way that works (as I did).  I don't know anything about editing the ini file.