Author Topic: New user: Sync with Android  (Read 15271 times)

phred

• Global Moderator
I don't use two-way sync either, but the one in the windows program device settings and the one in the WiFi app are unrelated.  The one in device settings was there long before the wifi app even existed and is/was related to an available (but not implemented in any Android players) MTP database field:
Yes, when I was writing my most recent reply I was thinking the setting was a legacy setting - left over from something that was never fully implemented and now doesn't do anything. Perhaps Steven should remove it to avoid further confusion.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

gordol

I don't two-way sync, but I suspect all you need to do is enable it in MB's desktop settings once and from then on, use the app to enable or not. Maybe you don't even need to turn it on in MB's settings.
I can't enable it in MB. It's grayed out and won't enable. See my screen shot a few responses upthread.
I also don't understand why you're plugging the phone in to make settings changes on the desktop. If you've run one sync via USB, the device will (should) show every time you open Preferences > Devices.

Because I did not know to look there. I only saw it with the phone plugged in, in the library tree.
I think you need to do some experimenting to get yourself squared away. Don't use your entire library. Select a small subset.
Yes. I'm only using a subset for now, just my main auto-playlist and a couple others, totaling about 4k tracks, as opposed to my entire library of 18k+ tracks.

Two-way sync is one of my requirements to update the playlist as I listen too music. I use the phone as my main playback device: in the car, at work, etc.

gordol

I don't use two-way sync either, but the one in the windows program device settings and the one in the WiFi app are unrelated.  The one in device settings was there long before the wifi app even existed and is/was related to an available (but not implemented in any Android players) MTP database field:
Wiki:
for MTP devices, the MTP database does have a field for rating and for play count. However in practice i have yet to see it being used by the android players. So until that happens 2-way sync wont do anything
If that turns out to be true, then I will not be able to use this and will have to keep looking.

PowerAmp does have ratings, but every track shows as one star, when in MB the ratings are there correctly. And I use ratings as one of my auto playlist criteria.

phred

• Global Moderator
PowerAmp does have ratings, but every track shows as one star, when in MB the ratings are there correctly. And I use ratings as one of my auto playlist criteria.
That sounds like perhaps it's a PowerAmp issue.
Last Edit: August 28, 2021, 03:20:57 AM by phred

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

frankz

If that turns out to be true, then I will not be able to use this and will have to keep looking.
If it turns out to be true that the two settings are unrelated (spoiler: they are), you won't be able to use MB? Why? It doesn't change the functionality of the one in the wifi sync app.

gordol

If it turns out to be true that the two settings are unrelated (spoiler: they are), you won't be able to use MB? Why? It doesn't change the functionality of the one in the wifi sync app.
Because I depend on the auto play lists. And those depend on syncing last-played and ratings back from the player on the phone.

The 3500~4000 tracks in the current playlist is only a fraction of my 18,000+ track music library. The playlist is an auto playlist that updates based on the date of last played and on the fly ratings changes to move music in and out when I sync.

frankz

Again, synching last played and ratings back from the player are a function of the wifi app and the two supported android apps (PowerAmp or GoneMad) working in conjunction, and that functionality has nothing to do with that setting in the windows program's device settings because (for the third time) THE TWO SETTINGS ARE UNRELATED.  The fact that you cannot turn on the setting in the windows program's device settings has nothing to do with how the wifi sync app operates because THE TWO SETTINGS ARE UNRELATED.  Unrelated in this context means NOT RELATED TO EACH OTHER IN ANY WAY.  

Said a different way, you do not need the windows program setting (which relates to MTP, a wired protocol) to be on to use the wifi app's two-way sync function.  It doesn't matter whether it's on or off, it has nothing to do with the wifi app.
Last Edit: August 28, 2021, 04:16:55 AM by frankz

gordol

Again, synching last played and ratings back from the player are a function of the wifi app and the two supported android apps (PowerAmp or GoneMad) working in conjunction, and that functionality has
Understood.  I just used the "contact support" in PowerAmp about that issue. My point being that if I cannot get this info to sync in both ways then MusicBee does not fit my needs. It does not matter if the missing function is on the MusicBee side or the PowerAmp / Gone Mad site. If it does not work, it does not work.

I just started my last test sync with PowerAmp as the player. I've been listening to music from the phone all day and noted down some of the tracks that had played. If they show up in MusicBee as played on 8/27, we have a winner. If not, I'll give GoneMad on the phone one cycle and if that also does not sync back, it'll be time to move on and maybe revisit if one or more of the mobile apps updates to address this.

When it comes down to it, it does not matter which side of the process fails the function. If it doesn't work, then it doesn't work.
nothing to do with that setting in the windows program's device settings because (for the third time) THE TWO SETTINGS ARE UNRELATED.  The fact that you cannot turn on the setting in the windows
Now you're harping on something already acknowledged and topic-dropped.

frankz

FYI, depending on your Android version (11 or later, I think), two way sync doesn't work in GoneMAD any more.

gordol

FYI, depending on your Android version (11 or later, I think), two way sync doesn't work in GoneMAD any more.
Android 11.
And, the two-way sync is still failing with PowerAmp.
Thanks for the help guys (and gals?). But this is not meeting my needs., so I'm dropping this unless the PowerAmp people can give me some good news from their end.

escoles

For the first (and usually only) wired/USB sync, make sure the device is unlocked when you plug it in.

What's meant by "unlocked", here?

phred

• Global Moderator
The phone's screen needs to be unlocked when plugging in the USB cable. The device should then ask how you want to use the connection. You should select file transfer (your wording may be different, but it needs to deal with files.)
I am not referring to a carrier unlock.
I hope that answers your question.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

escoles

The phone's screen needs to be unlocked when plugging in the USB cable. The device should then ask how you want to use the connection. You should select file transfer (your wording may be different, but it needs to deal with files.)
I am not referring to a carrier unlock.
I hope that answers your question.

Thanks, unfortunately that doesn't help. ;D  I'll create a separate post, just thought with the answer to that question I might be able to use what's in this one. (Phone is unlocked. I never get that prompt & can't do anything with the device that's created when it's attached.)