Author Topic: Artists Keep Repeating--What am I Doing Wrong?  (Read 4564 times)

flyerfocus

I have the do not repeat the same artist checked on the DJ tab, and I have it set to not repeat within 25.   But I'll get Elton John or Queen or Billie Joel back to back all day long.  What am I doing wrong?

MusicBee 3.4.7805
Win10

Side question:  How does Music Bee detect duplicate artists?  Is it taken from the file's metadata or filename or is a hash generated off the file and then, if the hash is known, a database lookup happens to see who the artist is?

Thanks.
Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 11:16:42 PM by flyerfocus

Zak

• Global Moderator
If you post a screenshot of your settings and example of a Now Playing list with repeated artists it may help someone work out why it is repeating artists for you.

I have the do not repeat the same artist checked on the DJ tab
I'm going to assume you mean the different / same artist slider, because there's no checkbox with that name.

This isn't something I use on a regular basis, but trying it myself now with these settings, it appears to work fine for me:

It works so well in fact that I think the slider implementation is a bit off. Even with the different / same artist slider in the middle, MusicBee will not select the same artist twice - the middle position and anything left of the middle function exactly the same. I'm not sure how this is intended to work to avoid repeating artists too often, but it's not the gradual transition from always to never the slider would suggest.

Side question:  How does Music Bee detect duplicate artists?  Is it taken from the file's metadata or filename or is a hash generated off the file and then, if the hash is known, a database lookup happens to see who the artist is?
MusicBee uses tag values to determine artists. MusicBee uses tag values to determine pretty much everything track-related.
Bee excellent to each other...