Author Topic: Auto-import of playlists  (Read 3055 times)

JustSomeone

May I drop an idea for another feature?

Similar to the monitoring of music files in specified folders and auto-update of the music libraries (library settings), if such a monitored folder contains playlist files (e.g. m3u), MusicBee could trigger an auto-import of these playlists. That may not need to be a separate feature, but done in parallel to an update of the music library. A simple checkbox „include playlists“ in the library monitoring / update settings could allow for a switch to turn that function on or off as per a user’s preference.

I imagine this to be useful if external playlists are used (e.g. when MusicBee is used on multiple devices, which are supposed to use the same, synchronized playlists) and are modified more regularly.

veermaharaj

I would rather musicbee handle the playlist like how wmp does. Leave it where it is, map the tracks to the songs in the library relatively and leave the physical .m3u file as found. Making backing up of the music folder and restoring a lot more seamless. Also allowing m3u files to be shared between media players like wmp that do have dlna functionality.

JustSomeone

I would rather musicbee handle the playlist like how wmp does. Leave it where it is, map the tracks to the songs in the library relatively and leave the physical .m3u file as found. Making backing up of the music folder and restoring a lot more seamless. Also allowing m3u files to be shared between media players like wmp that do have dlna functionality.
If I understand your post correctly I think we are basically on the same page.

Currently MusicBee offers a functionality to manually import playlist files like *.m3u. While I don't know how MusicBee would manage its internal playlists, it appears to me that MusicBee would create a separate internal playlist based on the external playlist specified and not modify the external m3u file in any form.

My idea above was that whenever a playlist file is found in a folder being monitored, MusicBee could execute that very playlist import functionality automatically. I don't have a concrete idea of how MusicBee could recognize an update of an existing playlist (maybe via time stamps), however, a simple auto import of every playlist found on startup might do the job.

Apologies if I haven't made my point clear enough in my initial post. Hope this clarifies.
Last Edit: August 27, 2021, 08:07:06 AM by JustSomeone