Author Topic: Organize by genre category  (Read 1956 times)

LinusParkourTips

I've decided to try to organize my music folder with genre categories(for now I just use a simple Artist\Album), and in musicbee itself I use tag hierarchy because with genre categories problems arise when an album has genres that apply to more than one genre category, it lands under unknown genre category.

I've noticed that when grouping by genres it only takes the first genre into consideration when sorting (if an album has the genres Alt-Country; Indie Rock; Singer/Songwriter it only shows up under the Alt-Country category), so I was wondering if it's possible to do a similar thing with genre categories.

I'm planning to use the file organizer for this, and this is how I thought to do it, but if anyone knows of another way to be able to automatically organize your files by Genre Category\Artist\Album I would be happy to hear that too.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Hi, welcome to the forum!

I would advise sticking with your artist/album (or album artist/album) organization. If you need to break it into smaller sections, you can easily group artists by first letter or even first 2-3 letters.

Using Genre Category for file organization introduces a level of unpredictability for exactly the reasons you've described. You would have to have either very simple genre categorization or very carefully maintained genre tags for it to work. MusicBee is designed to handle all the messiness of genres within the program without having to worry too much about your file structure.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

LinusParkourTips

Thanks for the welcome, and the answer.

I see what you mean, and thinking about it I agree that it's probably best to keep it the way I have it now with everything working in the app itself, so it doesn't really matter of the files system itself is structured.

Thanks and have a good day!