Author Topic: embedded tags not transferring to device on some (but not all) files  (Read 406 times)

Kanobis

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 9
I'm new to using MB and am in the process of transferring my library to a newly owned device (FiiO M11, with GoneMad player). I have a very organized library so all my files have a wide assortment of tags. When I transfer my library to the device (via WiFi sync) some of the files' tags aren't copying over to the device. It's always just all non-standard tags within a given file (i.e.: the artist name, album title, and song title tags are copied over fine, but sort tags, comments, and embedded art and lyrics are not). This is only occurring with certain files though; other files transfer the complete tag information fine. I notice it is also the same files every time that have the problem (when I was first playing around with the WiFi sync, I had to delete the device's library and restart a couple times to get the settings right and it was the same songs missing tag info each time I synced). I've tried editing the files through MB after they are on the device, but even then the re-added tag info won't save. So any ideas on how I can get every file to copy all tag information over and/or what about these select files is preventing the tags to copy over?

Kanobis

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 9
I see in the settings that there is an option of "force the use of ID3 v2.3 tags for saving MP3 files." I'm not exactly sure what that means and the MB wiki doesn't have info on that option, so I don't have it check marked. Should I? Would that help keep tags constant across all files? (my entire library is MP3 files)

vincent kars

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 302
MP3 uses the ID3 for tagging.
There are various versions of it and V2.3 is a popular one with wide support.
It is thinkable that GoneMad player doesn't support non-standard tags and/or non V2.3 tags.
Maybe some file contain a mixture of 2.1 and 2.3 or even 2.4 etc.

https://id3.org/

Just take 2 files, 1 you know to transfer correct and one who don't.
Sync using the force option.

You might also try the tag inspector of MB and check what is inside, probably tells you about the ID3 versions as well
Last Edit: July 22, 2021, 09:44:12 AM by vincent kars

Kanobis

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 9
MP3 uses the ID3 for tagging.
There are various versions of it and V2.3 is a popular one with wide support.
It is thinkable that GoneMad player doesn't support non-standard tags and/or non V2.3 tags.
Maybe some file contain a mixture of 2.1 and 2.3 or even 2.4 etc.

https://id3.org/

Just take 2 files, 1 you know to transfer correct and one who don't.
Sync using the force option.

You might also try the tag inspector of MB and check what is inside, probably tells you about the YD3 versions as well

I took a look at one of the "bad" files and it had tags for the same categories (genre, artist, etc) listed under both ID3v1 and ID3v2. The ID3v2 tags were what correctly shows in MB before I sync it to my device. But the ID3v1 tags, which were incomplete and/or undefined, are what are actually getting synced. Experimenting, I used MB to convert the old file to a new copy (albeit, from mp3 to a duplicate mp3 of the same bitrate) and synced the new copy. The new copy did indeed transfer the ID3v2 tags this time instead, as I had hoped for. So that seems to have solved the problem. However, re-ripping or converting half of my entire library will be quite the undertaking. I tried checkmarking the "force the use of ID3 v2.3 tags for saving MP3 files" in the MB settings, hoping that would force the sync to use the ID3v2 tags, but no luck. Is there any other workaround I can use other than re-ripping my entire library?

frankz

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2901
You can use a tool like mp3tag to remove the ID3v1 tags in bulk. Make sure to rescan the files in MB afterwards.
A smile is happiness you'll find right under your nose.

vincent kars

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 302
I tried checkmarking the "force the use of ID3 v2.3 tags for saving MP3 files" in the MB settings, hoping that would force the sync to use the ID3v2 tags, but no luck.

I expect files to re-sync only when something changes like "date last modified"
You sync one with V1 and V2 tags to a "new"  device and check if it works correctly.

However, when using Franz's suggestion to do it in the bulk using MP3Tag, you simply get rid of these tags library wide.
I do think this the best solution.
When doing so all files affected will qualify for a sync.