Author Topic: Copied & pasted or synched files - custom field includes other field information  (Read 5982 times)

tosmcgee

my problem is when i move / copy or synch files
my custom field called "Producer" adds other field information to it, and also to the artist roles my mixed by field becomes a remixer

See screen shot where the producer field shows one artist with four names as one
"Producer" contained John Parish
Dry Cleaning was in the "Recorded By" field
Joe Jones was in the "Engineer" field
"Mastered by" field contained Jason Mitchell

I do not mind having two copies of the same file so sometimes i copy one file and paste it to another folder
this new file becomes slightly corrupt as above
I now realise all my files are getting abused as i am synching files between two computers therefore they are all being adjusted.

https://imgur.com/FS1zIwi

Steven

• Administrator
can you send me a link to one of the files and also confirm that you have configured MB to save the custom tag to file as opposed to saving to the MB database

tosmcgee

Steven
I am checking settings in preferences
Custom Tags - Display Name - save to music file as tag
Custom 1 - Producer - Involved People List
Custom 2 - Recorded By - Involved People List
Custom 3 - Engineer - Involved People List
Cusom 4 - Mixed by - Mix Artist
Custom 5 - Mastered By - Involved People List
Custom 6 - Assistant Producer - Ditto
Custom 7 - Assistant Recording - Ditto
Custom 8 - Assistant Engineer - Ditto
Custom 9 - Assistant Mixing - Ditto
Custom 11 - Additional Production - Ditto
Custom 12 -  (P) - Copyright
Custom 13 - © - Copyright
Custom 14 - Publishing - WWW Publisher
Custom 15 - Arranged By - Involved People List
Custom 16 - ISRC Code - ISRC

I dunno how to link files but try below note the Bill Callahan has producer brian beattie and JJ Golden
so JJ Golden  - mastering credit is gone to producer credit

Tos

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/3b6anl6ru7k17/MOJO+The+Best+Of+2019+(CD+LP+2019)+MOJO+January+2020

Steven

• Administrator
mediafire doesnt allow download of those files - can you upload as a zip (maybe password protected) or use another host?

The Incredible Boom Boom

You're experiencing problems because you're using the "Involved People List" tag for multiple Custom Tags.

The correct way to set up an IPLST tag is to link it to one Custom Tag, then add the information to it in the format role:name; - where the semi-colon splits the info into multiple values.

Last Edit: July 27, 2021, 04:52:00 PM by The Incredible Boom Boom

tosmcgee

Steve

I really have no idea how to do the link can you try this
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AoSQSz6Q22F3iPZ5Pr4z_HrnwdA6Qg?e=5agjSs

Let Me know if that works

As regards the "Involved People List" that may well be an issue creating just one field for all the technical people involved leaves that field far to cluttered, almost unsearchable, and too time consuming having to remember and type the role along with the colons.
Maybe it is just an old head but i would prefer one role per column rather than producers and engineers and mixers in the one column and the information only readable when you edit the file.
I don't see how Boom Boom has "WOKSUBTITLE" and "STYLE" as save to music file as tag:

maybe synching files is not the answer but how do i ensure both computers have the same information

tos

Steven

• Administrator
The Incredible Boom Boom is correct and for Involved People/ Musician Credits which is the tag in your file, it needs to be formatted as role: person
Thats the format MB expects and handles

The Incredible Boom Boom

I don't see how Boom Boom has "WOKSUBTITLE" and "STYLE" as save to music file as tag:

How to Create a Custom Tag

You'll need to split the "Involved People List" tags to one Custom Tag per field.

Although...

As regards the "Involved People List" that may well be an issue creating just one field for all the technical people involved leaves that field far to cluttered, almost unsearchable, and too time consuming having to remember and type the role along with the colons.
Maybe it is just an old head but i would prefer one role per column rather than producers and engineers and mixers in the one column and the information only readable when you edit the file.

Every person should do what works for them.
Such a scenario is all well and good - until you're out of Custom Tags.

tosmcgee

I have tried on one track using just the producer tag - understand i have not changed custom tag names yet! -  i have put the following credits
Producer: M.I.A.; Producer: Switch; Additional Production: So Japan; Additional Production: Surkin; Mixed By: Surkin; Mixed By: Switch; Engineer: Neil Comber; Mastered By: Geoff Pesche

everyhing there appears to be in order

Then using musicbee's Send to (copy) - copied the file to another folder
the result in this producer column is was:
Producer: M.I.A.  Producer: Switch  Additional Production: So Japan  Additional Production: Surkin  Mixed By: Surkin  Mixed By: Switch Engineer: Neil Comber  Mastered By: Geoff Pesche
When i edit that copied track in musicbee the producer reads Producer: M.I.A.

When i edit the producer tag only (not while in edit track) the tag changes to Producer: M.I.A.

so the other credits are no longer visible and with such a lot of info were not readable in spreadsheet format

So when numerous custom tags use the same "Save To Music file As Tag" , and those music files are copied - the copied files's tags were added together with a space between them - perhaps, that it would be better for the first custom tag's information to be retained and the other's disgarded. Rather than adding to the first tag and clearing the others.

There still appears to be a bug using the suggested method - as the credits get lost someway or another

understand this is not a matter of choice or better method - it is about reporting a bug and how to fix that issue.

hiccup

I have tried on one track using just the producer tag - understand i have not changed custom tag names yet! -  i have put the following credits
Producer: M.I.A.; Producer: Switch; Additional Production: So Japan; Additional Production: Surkin; Mixed By: Surkin; Mixed By: Switch; Engineer: Neil Comber; Mastered By: Geoff Pesche

everyhing there appears to be in order
Not really.
If you created a custom tag named 'producer', you should populate it with only the names of producers.
Custom tags don't have a role:person feature.
If you additionally want separate 'Production, Mixed by', 'Engineer', etc. roles, you should create separate custom tags for each role.

Or use the Involved People tag, since it is intended for that.

tosmcgee

I have used custom tag - which i called Producer - and that tag using the involved people list

The Incredible Boom Boom

I have used custom tag - which i called Producer - and that tag using the involved people list

More accurately, you've named a Custom Tag associated with the real tag "Involved people list" "Producer."
Take note in the above link that, "There may only be one 'IPLS' frame in each tag," as has been stated to you.

If you want each role separate, you must "define new tags," as presented in the first link I provided you (if you had looked at and understood @hiccup's write up, you would've understood the difference between using pre-defined tag versus defining your own), although I believe you've already messed up your role tags by adding information to the IPLS frame incorrectly. Else, if you are down to experiment and learn how to use the "Involved people list" tag properly, again, you need to input the information exactly as both @hiccup and I have previously suggested - role:name; - exactly meaning no spaces between the colons.

Examples:
Code
arranger:Quincy Jones; producer:Sonny Burke; engineer:Lowell Frank

producer:Jeffrey Cohen; producer:Herbie Hancock; producer:David Rubinson; engineer:Fred Catero; engineer:Leslie Ann Jones; engineer:Ken Kassie; engineer:Chris Minto; engineer:David Rubinson; engineer:Cheryl Ward

engineer:Stephen Dent; mixer:Tony Maserati; producer:Sean "Puffy" Combs; producer:Stevie J.; writer:Sean Combs; writer:Daron Jones; writer:Michael Keith; writer:Quinnes Parker; writer:Courtney Sills; writer:Marvin Scandrick; writer:Steven Jordan

I personally would bypass the manual input (that's what really is time-consuming) and learn to use MusicBrainz Picard, as many of the albums you've tagging likely already contain the desired information in the MusicBrainz database. If not, you could add the roles to the database yourself (so others can tag their tracks appropriately) and then use Picard to grab the tags for your own files.
Last Edit: July 29, 2021, 03:42:20 PM by The Incredible Boom Boom

tosmcgee

I do not wish to be rude but it is not nice to be talked down to for misreading or not understanding messages. I have used musicbee for years and the problem only arose only because i am synching two computers.

It is normal to use KISS when trying to explain something that is easy for you just in case the person reading the information is not used to the "terms"

It looks like from a lot of reading, experimentation, rereading the messages and rereading again - that i should define my custom tags as "save to musicbee database only"
Changing the producer named tag to IPLST (or another title) and define as Involved People List
Then start the long process of editing names to role:name - where role is one of my custom tags.
That may populate my relevant custom tags "fields" with the information.
Is that close to what you are trying to say or miles away.

Please can you also tell me how you got  WORKSUBITLE and STYLE as that is not available in my dropdown list for defining a custom tag.

The Incredible Boom Boom

Please can you also tell me how you got  WORKSUBITLE and STYLE as that is not available in my dropdown list for defining a custom tag.

I do not wish to be rude but it is not nice to be talked down to for misreading or not understanding messages.

If you want each role separate, you must "define new tags," as presented in the first link I provided you (if you had looked at and understood @hiccup's write up, you would've understood the difference between using pre-defined tag versus defining your own),

It is normal to use KISS when trying to explain something that is easy for you just in case the person reading the information is not used to the "terms"

More accurately, you've named a Custom Tag associated with the real tag "Involved people list" "Producer."

It looks like from a lot of reading, experimentation, rereading the messages and rereading again - that i should define my custom tags as "save to musicbee database only"

"Save to MusicBee database only" Custom Tags are equivalent to separate Custom Tags saved to files.
You can format a "Save to MusicBee database only" tag as role:person;, but it's not required - only the "Involved People List" tag requires this format.

Changing the producer named tag to IPLST (or another title) and define as Involved People List

Yes, then remove "Involved People List" from all the other Custom Tag definitions.

Then start the long process of editing names to role:name - where role is one of my custom tags.

Or...

I personally would bypass the manual input (that's what really is time-consuming) and learn to use MusicBrainz Picard, as many of the albums you've tagging likely already contain the desired information in the MusicBrainz database. If not, you could add the roles to the database yourself (so others can tag their tracks appropriately) and then use Picard to grab the tags for your own files.

I believe it'll be less time consuming using Picard to add IPLS roles to all your tracks, than inputting them manually.

The Incredible Boom Boom

Please can you also tell me how you got  WORKSUBITLE and STYLE as that is not available in my dropdown list for defining a custom tag.

I do not wish to be rude but it is not nice to be talked down to for misreading or not understanding messages.

If you want each role separate, you must "define new tags," as presented in the first link I provided you (if you had looked at and understood @hiccup's write up, you would've understood the difference between using pre-defined tag versus defining your own),

"Save to MusicBee database only" Custom Tags are equivalent to separate Custom Tags saved to files.
You can format a "Save to MusicBee database only" tag as role:person;, but it's not required - only the "Involved People List" tag requires this format.

Yes, then remove "Involved People List" from all the other Custom Tag definitions.

Or...

I believe it'll be less time consuming using Picard to add IPLS roles to all your tracks, than inputting them manually.