Author Topic: Enhanced Genre hierarchy list  (Read 29993 times)

hiccup

The genre hierarchy list and the 'all genres' test files were updated.
Last Edit: March 18, 2023, 07:00:30 PM by hiccup

hiccup

Updated, many small changes and improvements.

For aficionados of classical music it may be good to know that some inconsistencies in genre/period names were adjusted.

before:
Early romantic
Expressionism
Impressionist
Late romantic
Modernist
Neoclassicism
Post-minimalist
Postmodernist
Romantic

now:
Early romanticism
Expressionism
Impressionism
Late romanticism
Modernism
Neoclassicism
Post-minimalism
Postmodernism
Romanticism

For those using Picard and my Picard genre scripts and whitelist, those will now also (re)name these genres accordingly.

gregoirecmoi

hiccup

hokkaidojef

Hi Hiccup.

No matter how I try from within the forum or the misc. downloads section,
I can't download your file .
 I get :
This site can’t be reached
rebrand.ly’s DNS address could not be found. Diagnosing the problem.
DNS_PROBE_POSSIBLE

Jeff :)

hiccup

I get :
DNS_PROBE_POSSIBLE
Strange, the download link is working fine for me.
Maybe it is your internet provider/DNS server/security software/a temporary glitch?

Perhaps other members could give it a try and report back?:
download Enhanced genre hierarchy list
Last Edit: June 23, 2023, 07:34:27 PM by hiccup

phred

• Global Moderator
No issues downloading the first file at the Dropbox link.
Perhaps there's a geo-restriction at play.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

Mr. Trev

I get :
DNS_PROBE_POSSIBLE
Strange, the download link is working fine for me.
Maybe it is your internet provider/DNS server/security software/a temporary glitch?

download Enhanced genre hierarchy list

Just tried the link and it's working fine for me too

hokkaidojef

Thanks everyone!
Got it thru dropbox via Hiccup.
My DNS point towards my VPN and I have varies securities in place as far as software and browser,
so most like those had something to do with it.
Thanks again for the help and thoughts on the issue everyone!

Jeff :)

shineangelic

Hi @hiccup and congraturations again for your awesome and long work.

I am here as written on another thread to give my 2-cents feedback on genres hierarchy and to propose a tool to auto-generate the grouping/tag list files given the tag hierarchy file, if you think it could be useful to you I could contribute with that.

Now, in order not to write a long list of unverified genre/edits, I would gradually and slowly propose some minor edits on this thread, if it sounds good to you. I love speaking of genres and I like the topic, but I don't want to annoy you or oher users neither lose time on pointless chaotic and abstract arguments. A first example would be:

- Add Style: Percussive
Like "Experimental" or "Instrumental" this is not a proper genre, but a Style/Form made of mainly percussive sounds; it's somewhat related/opposite of "Acoustic". A famous example would be Iannis Xenakis, or the scherzo without instruments. Other examples here and here

would it be ok to go on with this form of feedback or does it sound inappropriate?
Last Edit: August 29, 2023, 06:20:40 PM by shineangelic

hiccup

- Add Style: Percussive
Like "Instrumental" or "Acoustic" this is not a proper genre, but a Style/Form made of mainly percussive sounds. A famous example would be Iannis Xenakis, or the scherzo without instruments. Other examples here and here
I think that's a good one, it's added.

The only problem is when looking at MusicBrainz for the percussive tag, it's a lot of releases that could perhaps be considered 'rhythmic', but surely not containing predominantly percussion instruments.
So that tag will (currently) not work great when using MusicBrainz as a source for it.
But that's another problem.

shineangelic

Ok, You won't like the next one but I'm personally interested on this, so let me insist and introduce the new Electronic sub-genre synthwave like this:

Electronic
      Synthwave · Vaporwave
            Synthwave::genre
            Cyberpunk::genre
            Darksynth::genre
            Outrun::genre
            Minimal synth::genre
            Spacesynth::genre
            Vaporwave::genre

Let me elaborate a bit, english in not my native language but I'll do my best. All these genres are already included, I'm only moving them. The synthwave genre is pretty well defined both temporally and "sensorially": Mainly made of synths, often by a single artist, with strong 80S sounding and/or themes taken from the pop culture of those years.
It originates from French electro::genre and Italo-disco::genre already included in the list, and to me it deserves a "sub-genre" promotion. Infact, they all share a similar temporal context (2010s) and synth-based origin; Even if it may sound a naive consideration, also the album covers of these sub-genres are significantly representative of it: skull and gloomy for darksynth, spacey and alien-like for spacewave, cars and beaches for outrun and so on.
On music streaming platforms these same defined genres are often grouped under the broader synthwave, suggesting a similar hierarchy. See other examples on RYM or Reddit.
I understand that these references may not sound academic but watching at other 3rd level sub-categories, like Psychedelia or Industrial · Noise for example, I still feel Synthvave deserves the same, as depicted on musicmap.info, too (where the sub-genre is Downtempo though: if you prefer we could name the 2nd level category like that instead of the proposed one
Last Edit: August 29, 2023, 09:38:46 PM by shineangelic

shineangelic

Next one I'm proposing to add "Italian Pop::genre" under "European (west)". It's similar, cousin let's say, with existing "French pop::genre". Examples: Laura Pausini, Gigi D'agostino, Giorgio Moroder, Mina, Lucio Dalla, Eiffel 65, Adriano Celentano, Toto Cotugno (RIP  :'( )

Musicbrainz
Last Edit: August 29, 2023, 09:31:34 PM by shineangelic

shineangelic

I propose to move "Aggrotech::genre" from techno to Electronic. It's a synonym/alias of already-defined electro-industrial. Personally I'd move both under Industrial · Noise but I guess this won't be accepted (:
Last Edit: August 29, 2023, 09:34:38 PM by shineangelic

shineangelic

Next one I'm proposing to add "Etherpop::genre" under Pop. Example artists on Lastfm, chosic. It's basically an alias of "Dream pop::genre"