Author Topic: Enhanced Genre hierarchy list  (Read 29312 times)

hiccup

Thanks for reporting,

There must be something going on at Bitly that is causing these false security warnings.
I'm not sure creating new links would solve this, or for how long.

The best thing to do for now is if you (and other forum members that care and have a moment to spare) could fill in the form that the warning page has a link to, to inform Bitly that the security blocking is a false one.
I am guessing the more users report it, the sooner it will be solved.

Mr. Trev

I reported it. Hopefully it'll get resolved soon.

A semi-off topic question… what's the deal with bitly anyhow? I have no idea what the pros (or cons) of using these link shortening services are.
Last Edit: April 21, 2022, 08:02:02 PM by Mr. Trev

alec.tron

I wanted to grab the latest version as well, but bitly stops me too.
Also - a pure text version upload would be grand [instead of a file upload] - if you want @hiccup, I can add it to a git repo () or stuff like this
https://justpaste.it/
seems to be usable with little friction.

Churs.
c.

ps. just saw the other thread that you use bitly for your binary files as well... then the above doesn't fly, so ignore.. :D
Last Edit: April 29, 2022, 09:32:52 AM by alec.tron

hiccup

ps. just saw the other thread that you use bitly for your binary files as well... then the above doesn't fly, so ignore.. :D
Yep, that's the case indeed.
If someone wants to download one of my contributions that is currently falsely being blocked by Bitly, the best thing to do to get the issue solved will be by him/her filling in the 'false blocking' report that the blocking page refers to.

I have reported it myself twice now. But no response from Bitly as yet. So more reports from others might help or be needed.

austral

hi!
got the Bitly block and filled the report as "false blocking".
in the meantime, is there another way we can get the file?
thanks for reading

chthonic

U can use checkshorturl to decode the bitly link, make sure you copy the link from this post and not the one where it says its blocked.

hiccup

Updated.

Added some genres and made some small changes.

hiccup

A notification:
I am considering to remove all 'subgenre' functionality from my 'enhanced genre hierarchy list'.

The reason is that by now I believe that while the idea makes sense, in reality it is difficult to put to good use.

Firstly, there is no genre provider that offers structured genre/subgenres that can be retrieved and automatically tagged. So it will take a lot of manual effort to set things up and maintain them.
Secondly, while some genres can be clearly considered to be a subgenre of another, many others are not a subgenre of one genre, but evolved from two different genres. Sometimes genres that are not even in the same 'category'.
It's pretty much impossible to define/restrict these as being a subgenre of one genre.

Also, because of the way the hierarchy browser works (my THL at least), having subgenres doesn't really add any functionality to it.
Using the hierarchy browser will find them irrespective if the genre resides in the 'genre', or in the 'subgenre' tag.
So these days I myself put all genres and 'subgenres' in the genre tag.

If I remove the concept of subgenres from my list, it does not mean that any genre names get removed, nor that there will be any change in the hierarchy. (levels)
It would only mean that it won't read the 'subgenre' tag any more, nor will it provide suggestions to write it.

If anyone using my Enhanced Genre Hierarchy list does use and appreciate the subgenre feature, let me know. Then I will leave things as they are.

hiccup

updated

I have split-up EDM and Electronic, and created 'Dance' as a new category.
'Dance' contains all EDM and Disco related genres.

So it's now this:

instead of this:

And as reminder:

This is probably going to be the last version that reads (and suggests) subgenres.
(unless somebody speaks out that he is making good use of the feature)

hiccup

updated

-  added new genres from RYM
-  regrettably had to waste time and space with adding many aka's that were added at MusicBrainz
-  removed the 'subgenre' feature (as announced and explained earlier)

hiccup

updated

- Ambient is now a main category
- added some genres from RYM

hiccup

updated

- added a couple of genres
- Dance pop was changed to: Dance-pop
- Rock and roll was changed to: Rock & roll
- Rhythm and blues was changed to: Rhythm & blues
- R&B and Rhythm & blues are now two separate genre categories

In your library you may want to rename existing genre tags 'Dance pop' to 'Dance-pop', and 'Rhythm and blues' to 'Rhythm & blues', since the former spellings won't be recognised by the genre hierarchy browser any more.

Last Edit: November 23, 2022, 09:30:19 PM by hiccup

hiccup

For testing my 'Enhanced Genre Hierarchy' table I have been using some testing files that contain all genres that are in my genre hierarchy file.
It's a set of 28 flac files that together contain all 2475 2553 2705 genres that it currently contains.
(the tracks don't contain music, only genre tags)

I thought they might be interesting and/or useful to other users, so I make them available for download.
If you load the tracks into your library, you will be able to see exactly how the genre hierarchy is constructed, and what genre goes where.

download  test files 'all genres'

Don't get dizzy:

Last Edit: February 04, 2024, 09:54:02 AM by hiccup

hiccup

updated

- added a few genres
- Psytrance is now a category containing subgenres:

hiccup

updated

- added a few genres
- Chant and Emo are now categories
  (funny how these two happen to reflect diametrical mindstates)