Author Topic: Float · Sting  (Read 9808 times)

hiccup

A soft-contrast skin in both a light (Float) and a dark (Sting) version.

Float

download Float

Sting

download Sting

note:
These are not brand new skins, and they were introduced here a while ago, but due to a recent forum mishap related to spam removal, the complete original thread was deleted.
(including the replies from fellow members containing suggestions for improvements and some very nice words of appreciation)

So this is a re-creation of the original start-post.
(also, Sting was slightly modified and updated)
Last Edit: June 11, 2022, 10:17:08 AM by hiccup

wealstarr

Phenomenal use of colors and icons too bad the layout doesn't doesn't come right on my system. :(

hiccup

Thank you wealstarr.
What issue are you having with layouts?

wealstarr

I'm pretty sure the skin is fine in itself as it must have been intensively tested but something is wrong on my end based on my custom configuration that skin is behaving the way it is.

Anyways, here are the two issues.

The first being the band on the top if the Now Playing panel, I think it's not consistent with the design logic of the skin.

Second, the waveform is squeezed in, rest of the placeholder reserved for it is just empty.

Third, I can't work with visible scrollbars. I want them to only show up when hovered upon. Now I know it has got nothing to do with skins so I'm gonna go ahead and post a request to make the setting available player wide.  (This idea is stolen from another app which uses the same design conviction as MusicBee like arrange panels and stuff, you can have the setting to only show the scrollbars when mouse is hovered upon scrollband which works on all themes.)

Again, the scrollbar issue has got nothing to do with you, it's just my personal wish.

Anyways phenomenal work. Please continue creating beautiful themes such as this.

Kind regards.

Edit: Posted a thread in the Wishlist section  https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=35349.0
Last Edit: July 28, 2021, 07:52:42 PM by wealstarr

hiccup

Thanks for the feedback.

1. Waveform

Your MusicBee panel is quite narrow in that screenshot. Is that a limitation of your display, or a deliberate choice of yours?
Do you have some Windows display scaling active?
I agree the wavebar can turnout a bit narrow at smaller widths. But I have designed it for modern widescreen displays.
I'll see if I can maybe adjust it a little bit, but I can't promise I will change it.
Ideally the left and right border of the wavebar would get adjusted dynamically depending on the panel width, but I have experimented with such in the past, and pretty much always failed in getting desired results.

2. 'inconsistent' bar

It is not inconsistent in the sense that you have disabled the header for that panel, and the bar retains the original colour of the header bar.
Making it any darker would have a negative effect on the header bar when unhidden.
But you could use a piggyback skin to change it.
https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=29815.0
Or create a wish to perhaps have it slightly less tall. (which I would probably support)

3. Scrollbars

That's indeed a personal preference, and I prefer to have them unhidden.
Perhaps something could be done by using a piggyback skin.
Maybe I'll try that out. (but don't hold your breath)
And I see you created a wish for a feature regarding this, so let's see…

wealstarr

Damn, the more I look at it, the more I want to use it. This is perhaps the most polished skin I've ever discovered for MusicBee. I wonder what would it look like if a little more inclined towards the darker color. (more on this at the end)

1. Waveform

The player is NOT fullscreen. It's in windowed mode. It's a personal choice but I've used your skins before and never had this issue.

Here's an example of Sportura Pinstripe:
https://i.comss.pics/2021/07/28/Capture3.png

This is my DPI settings:
https://i.comss.pics/2021/07/28/Capture4.png

And here's the player in the fullscreen mode on 120 DPI default scaling.
https://i.comss.pics/2021/07/28/Capture2.png

2. 'inconsistent' bar

Understood, maybe making a piggyback skin is my only choice. Thank you for the reference.
I'll just drop a request anyways. What should it be called to make Steven understood what I'm talking about?

3. Scrollbars
Lets' hope Steven considers my request for a player wide setting to hide the scrollbars when inactive.

Now about that piggyback skin and more colors. I really want to use this skin but I want to change those two things  'inconsistent' bar and scrollbars. I'm committed to it but I don't have the knowhow to be able to this on my own. I would need a lot of help, if you could.

It's quite alright of you can't do any of those things, now that I have notified you the things which can be improved, I shell keep an eye for your next project.

Thank you for the support and kind regards.

hiccup

I'll just drop a request anyways. What should it be called to make Steven understood what I'm talking about?
In general, I have the impression he understands and oversees all implications at first read.
(while I sometimes have to read a question at least three times before I even get the basic gist of it)

Now about that piggyback skin and more colors. I really want to use this skin but I want to change those two things  'inconsistent' bar and scrollbars. I'm committed to it but I don't have the knowhow to be able to this on my own. I would need a lot of help, if you could.
Just give it a try?
If it proves to be something unenjoyable, too challenging, or you simply don't have have the time for, I'll do something this coming weekend.

wealstarr

Just give it a try?
If it proves to be something unenjoyable, too challenging, or you simply don't have have the time for, I'll do something this coming weekend.

Okay I'm gonna read the thread you linked to and give it my best attempt.

I'll keep you posted of the progress (if there will be any)

Thanks again for the kind support.

hiccup

Float and Sting were both updated.

- the wavebar in the player panel is now a little bit wider
- various other small improvements

hiccup

Damn I'm getting sloppy, there was a flaw introduced with the 'Next' button.
It's fixed now.

hiccup

updated

The last.fm scrobble button can now be hidden.