Author Topic: Auto-tag dry run  (Read 3985 times)

getmusicbee_account1111

I would like to be able to see what tag changes are about to be made and checkmark the ones I actually want instead of having them be applied as soon as they're found. Kinda like with the Find and Replace tool. This could eliminate so many unintentional changes.
Last Edit: July 05, 2021, 04:38:56 AM by getmusicbee_account1111

JamieC

Bizy

@getmusicbee_account1111:
Auto-downloading tags:  I can't make that work for me, so I'm wondering how you do that?!
(In Preferences/Tags(2), I see ways to auto-download and/or auto-save lyrics and artwork, but not for tags.
So personally, I would wish there was a way to select tags for auto-downloading and/or saving.
But maybe, I'm missing something.)

In case you don't know:  if you use Tagging tools/Auto-tag by album:  you can choose which tags to apply.

@JamieC:
Actually, there ís a way to vote, at least in the Wishlist section:  by replying with '+1'.
But first, let's consider all possible options here... ;-)

b.
Last Edit: August 19, 2021, 04:34:51 PM by Bizy
Full installer Version 3_4_7805
Portable Editon 3_4_7805 P

Thalion Korvhas

Am I the only one who got fed up with auto tagging features of multiple programs messing up their files and now is a die-hard 100% manual tagger? There is so much trash in the auto tagging databases it is not worth it to me to even bother with them. Wikipedia, etc + manual entering bulk / individual tags is my preferred choice. I also only use MB tagging for small changes.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Am I the only one who got fed up with auto tagging features of multiple programs messing up their files and now is a die-hard 100% manual tagger? There is so much trash in the auto tagging databases it is not worth it to me to even bother with them. Wikipedia, etc + manual entering bulk / individual tags is my preferred choice. I also only use MB tagging for small changes.

I'm sure you're not the only one, but if I tried to do it all manually I'd never get anywhere. I use Picard and MusicBrainz, and for the easy cases I can work very quickly. I never apply tags completely blind, though, I always give it at least a glance before saving. And for the tougher cases, I often end up doing a lot of research and updating in the database, which means that whatever work I've done is accessible to the next person, not just me.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

getmusicbee_account1111

Auto-downloading tags:  I can't make that work for me, so I'm wondering how you do that?!

Tools - Tagging Tools - Auto-Tag by Track - Identify Track and Update Tags - check "identify the track using the digital sound signature."

That is the whole point of this post. I want it to show me what it's about to do so I can make sure there is no trash about to be inserted and, if there is any, deselect it.

vincent kars

Bizy

Tools - Tagging Tools - Auto-Tag by Track - Identify Track and Update Tags - check "identify the track using the digital sound signature."

I see.

I only use that when I don't have any tags at all of a song.  So whatever it is that appears (and gets auto-saved) then, it doesn't matter to me.  I need to check it anyway.
Last Edit: September 12, 2021, 09:40:36 PM by Bizy
Full installer Version 3_4_7805
Portable Editon 3_4_7805 P

mrbenn

FWIW, Beets has just had a major update and setup on Windows was much less of a chore than older versions.

It annihilates any other tagging application. 

hiccup

It annihilates any other tagging application. 

I'll bite.
If I understand correctly it uses MusicBrainz' database to get its (best) results.
So what can it do that annihilates Picard?

mrbenn

Use Discogs in addition to MB
A very high success rate, even with bad / missing starting tags - it either gets it or it doesn't.
Be pointed at an entire library and automatically tag based on % match to database hits. Fire and forget.
Doesn't ID 30 tracks as 29 from an album and 1 from a compilation when using accoustID.
Doesn't ID 30 tracks as 29 other, similar compilations that are not the one you have and 1 from a track that sampled the one you do have when using accoustID.
Will accept Discogs release IDs and full release URLs if the auto-tagger does not work - if you can find it on Discogs, it will handle the tagging.
Python plugins
Highly configurable

https://beets.io/

There is some effort in setup required, so I would suggest setting up a test folder of 5 or 10 albums away from your library to begin with.

hiccup

Use Discogs in addition to MB
Thanks for explaining.
Then beets isn't for me.
There are various reasons why I am not impressed by the quality and consistency of tags that Discogs delivers.
So getting tag results mixed from MusicBrainz and Discogs, and it probably not being clear what came from where exactly would hurt my ocd brain.

The automation as you described it is probably great for many users.
But using Picard with customised scripts and some plugins for me also makes it a very fast and effortless exercise to get highly specified and near-perfect results.
And Picard gives a good visual overview so when in doubt, I can also see exactly what is what before I decide. Or make small changes before accepting.

To each his own…

mrbenn

Beets does handle getting meaningful and correct tags from Discogs quite well, and you can configure it to take whatever is in the database and format it to your preference.

Out of the box it prioritises MB, then falls back to Discogs and this is how I use it. You can turn one or the other off.

I also forgot to mention there is an option to disable any changes to files if you just want to see how it works as it tags.