Author Topic: Use of quotes in external tool parameters  (Read 1573 times)

mrbenn

I want to open windows terminal and pass the full path of the selected file when clicked.

An example of the final, vanilla command I would want to run is:

wt -d "M:\Folder\With\Album" -Command beet import .

This would open terminal already CD'd to that folder, then run the command without having to invoke a script. As you can see there are quotes around the folder path.

Whenever I enclose the <Path> field in quotes, it sends the command of
wt -d <Path> (etc...)
not the value. I cannot work out how to escape the quotes in MusicBee - I have used
-d '"'<Path>'"'
and a number of other combinations but cannot format the command correctly.

I cannot use single ' to enclose the path since if that character is in a folder name it trips up - the character " cannot be used in a file or folder name in Windows, but ' can.

TL:DR - how do I encapsulate a field in double " quotes when the command to be run is generated without MusicBee interpreting it as a string literal, rather than variable.

Zak

• Global Moderator
I don't have Windows Terminal installed to do a direct comparison, but I haven't had any problems testing with the normal windows Command Line.

If I create an External Tool entry for cmd and use these parameters:

Code
/K cd /d "<Path>" && echo "<Path>" && echo <Path>  && echo "<URL>" && echo <URL> && ffprobe -i "<URL>" 
everything works as expected. This opens a command window in the file's folder, displays its folder and path and opens it in the ffprobe command line program.
"M:\Music\B\Beatles, The\1964.1 - A Hard Day's Night\"
M:\Music\B\Beatles, The\1964.1 - A Hard Day's Night\
"M:\Music\B\Beatles, The\1964.1 - A Hard Day's Night\01 - A Hard Day's Night.flac"
M:\Music\B\Beatles, The\1964.1 - A Hard Day's Night\01 - A Hard Day's Night.flac

The output suggests MusicBee just passes the folder and files path as is, without any special quote processing.
If I enclose the path in quotes they're included in the output. If I leave them off, they're not.
I don't see MusicBee treating "<Path>" as a literal string.

Probably a silly question, but you are putting the parameters in the parameters field, not with the application path?
Bee excellent to each other...

mrbenn

Thanks for the suggestion Zak. I'll do some testing later and get some screen shots of what I'm seeing.

edit: yes, "wt" is in the middle column, and everything else is in the right hand column in the musicbee settings panel.
Last Edit: September 11, 2021, 06:34:16 PM by mrbenn

mrbenn

After some experimenting, I have gotten
Code
/K cd /d "<Path>" && wt -p "PowerShell" -d .  beet import . 
to work as intended.

Things I found: it does not work if I call pwsh.exe or wt.exe and attempt the same command - it *has* to go via cmd.exe
 I think this is down to our old frenemy " \ " and how powershell escapes things like spaces.

Also, the issues with quotes altering the output in the Template Editor Preview - the output string that is sent by MusicBee is correct, but previewing it shows otherwise.