Author Topic: Volume analysis using more cpu threads?  (Read 702 times)

hiccup

Having recently updated to a new computer with a cpu that has much more cores than my old one, I was hoping/expecting to see some speed improvements when doing volume analysis.
But the speed gains were not so great, and looking at Task Manager > Performance, it seems to me that no more than 2 cores are actually doing work at the same time.

Could the analysis process be improved so that it makes use of more cpu threads?

Mr. Trev

Does changing the number of threads/priority under the file convertor settings make any difference?

If not… +1. I'm always down for more multicore/thread capability - and after seeing how much faster FLACCL runs, I'm also for offloading as much as possible onto the gfx card
Last Edit: March 11, 2022, 03:22:29 AM by Mr. Trev

hiccup

Does changing the number of threads/priority under the file convertor settings make any difference?
No, I had tried that.

Steven

• Administrator
The volume analysis library i am using is not multi-threaded
The current implementation uses 2 threads - one to load while the other thread processes and i think thats the best that can be done with that library.

hiccup

Thanks for taking a look at it.
I'll chalk it down as a big compliment to my previous 10 yrs old Intel i5 gen.2 cpu that his brand spanking new successor is not putting him to shame with low-thread-count applications.