Author Topic: [Portable Music Bee] Changing Library Locations Via Search & Replace  (Read 1899 times)

Thalion Korvhas

Using MuscBee portable. I just copied all my media from one drive to another. All the files on the new drive have exactly the same paths as the old drive. The only difference it the drive letter. I do not want musicbee to move anything. I have 4 separate libraries. Editing them via the musicbee settings is a bit of a pain for me because for every library I have to re-click the location of each set of files that are part of the library.

So to get to my point, can I simply open each library file (\Musicbee\Libraries\<library name>\MusicBeeLibrarySettings.ini) and change the drive letter from the old one to the new one? All I have to do is a simply search & replace command changing the old drive letter with the new one. Will this do the trick? Is there some other file or settings I need to change?

frankz

I removed my last post because I realized I don't understand what you're asking.

If you moved your music files from within MB, you shouldn't need to do additional editing for MB to see your files in their new location.

What exactly are you trying to change?  Where do you see it in MB?

Thalion Korvhas

File->Library->Relink Music File Paths.  Old path or drive at the left (the highest level that was common across all files), new path or drive at the right.

PS - The file you're proposing to edit is not your library file, it's your settings file. The library file ends in MBL, and is not editable in a text editor.

Ahh, ok. What I did was change the location of the folders to be "monitored". If you bring up the musicbee preferences menu (Edit>edit preferences >library>monitored folders) -  that is what I changed. That one is a bit of a pain to change if you have set it up where only some subfolders are monitored but not all.

Thanks. I have gotten used to hand editing the files instead of using the interface due to programs like LaunchBox that does not have an easy way to perform such functions.

Thalion Korvhas

I removed my last post because I realized I don't understand what you're asking.

If you moved your music files from within MB, you shouldn't need to do additional editing for MB to see your files in their new location.

What exactly are you trying to change?  Where do you see it in MB?

I do not allow programs such as musicbee to move any of my files. I manually put my files where I want them to be & then point the program to them. In this case I copied an entire drives worth of media files to another larger drive. The paths are exactly the same. Just a different drive letter. I am just trying to make sure that muscibee is pointing my libraries to the new drive.

And the folders to be monitored is solved above.