Author Topic: Playlist Explorer Search function?  (Read 2807 times)

antidoteyymbr

So I really feel like I have to be missing something really obvious, but is there a way to search for playlists using the Playlist Explorer functionality? For example, I have hundreds of playlists and I only seem to be able to scroll through them until I find the one I am looking for. I can rename them to have some kind of order like "1. Rock, 2. Metal, etc", but maybe but I want to know if I have a playlist called "Hip Hop" already created. Is there a way to use the search bar to search just the titles of your playlists? If not, hopefully I am not alone in thinking this would be a great feature. Thanks!

Steven

• Administrator
Make sure the playlist explorer panel is active and just start typing the name. However it only searches visible playlists, so wont look for playlists in collapsed folders

antidoteyymbr

I  have just tried as instructed, but this it isn't exactly a search it is just kind of a jump. For example: if I have playlists called A, B, C and I type C, it jumps to C. But if I have playlists AA, AB, BA, CC, etc, it doesn't know what to do.

If it is still worth mentioning, none of the playlists are collapsed or in folders and they are all the the Explorer Panel. Sorry if I am still unclear, but I could maybe make a screen capture video if necessary?

But ideally it would just be an extra search bar for Playlists only, kind of like when you are searching for an artist, song, album title in the main search bar function. In this way, I could search through all of the different Playlists that I have by name.

phred

• Global Moderator
Have you tried using a custom search with the criteria <Playlist> is ...? Or <Playlist> contains ...?
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

antidoteyymbr

Yes but the Custom Search doesn't search Playlists: it only searches music.

frankz

Yes but the Custom Search doesn't search Playlists: it only searches music.
???

You'll add: Playlist - is any of - [select all your playlists with the top checkbox] to your search criteria

frankz

Ha my post is not helpful - you're looking for the playlists by name not files within the named playlists. My fault for skimming.

Now that I understand, I don't think you're following Steven's instructions.  When I click inside the playlist explorer area and start typing a name, it opens a little box at the top showing what I've typed and goes to the first match and if I type more letters that no longer match what it first landed on it jumps to one that does match - the same way searching for an artist or album works as you've requested.

For example if I start typing "beat" it jumps to the Beatles playlist and then if I keep going "les re" it jumps to the Beatles Related playlist.
Last Edit: August 12, 2021, 08:33:56 PM by frankz

antidoteyymbr

Yeah it will "jump" if I start typing, but what I am looking for is a search function. In my case, I had to use numbers and letters to keep playlists in a ranked order, otherwise they would be alphabetical. For example, let's say I have some playlists 1. Band Name 2. Favorite Songs 3. Other Band Name 4. Happy Songs 5. Pop Genre, etc. These aren't alphabetical or else they would be listed as Band Name, Favorite Songs, Happy Songs, Pop Genre, Other Band Name. So essentially I have hundreds of Playlists that start with Numbers, or Letters, then followed by the name of that actual Playlist. This makes it easier when I am using my media device and scrolling through playlists to find the one I want, or just on the computer.

Basically, I just want to be able to search so that way I don't end up creating duplicate playlists. Maybe I already have a playlist for Other Band Name and Happy Songs, but since I don't recall what number proceeds that name, I have to scroll through hundreds of Playlists and look to see if it already exists, or, just where it might be in the rankings. It is pretty much a 'Playlist for Playlists' concept haha.