Author Topic: Auto-Export static copy of auto-playlist not updating the m3u file  (Read 4205 times)

verm71

I have a few auto playlists that have the checkbox "Auto-Export" checked, and if I close MusicBee gracefully, the m3u static copies are not updated.

I've been running 3.4.7805 for about 5 days now, but the date stamp on some m3u goes back 2 weeks.

phred

• Global Moderator
The auto-playlists are not exported if there have been no changes to them. Same with static playlists.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

verm71

While I would expect this if the content has not changed, these are however randomly-generated playlists. If I edit them in MusicBee and toggle the "Automatically Export a static copy" (saving in between values), the M3U gets updated. Not sure how long this will work for.  When I run MusicBee but don't manually do this, the M3U static export will not be refreshed, and my NAS won't give my portable player its expected random new content.
Last Edit: June 16, 2021, 11:06:52 PM by verm71

verm71

Is there at least a way to manually force re-exporting all playlists marked for auto-export all at once (rather than manually one at a time)?  Because "auto-export" simply isn't auto-exporting in my library.

phred

• Global Moderator
No, there isn't. That might make a good item for the wishlist.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

verm71

Well, that would be a workaround for a bug. I'm thinking the development time against that might be better utilized towards fixing the root bug instead. Automatically exporting a static copy of playlists should already happen, it's just not happening when it should. I have "automatically exported playlists" that have not been refreshed in over 20 days despite daily content changes in the Musicbee view of the same AutoPlaylist.

verm71

I've noticed that even if I delete the M3U file, it doesn't re-generate itself if I open MusicBee, click the autoplaylist in the browser, then close MusicBee.  I have to click edit on each autoplaylist and immediately save it without any changes if I want to get a refreshed M3U of it. That simply tells me the "Automatically export a static copy" is not being triggered somehow.

VIV_ID

Sorry to necro this, but I've been having the exact same problem for a while now and just never got around to posting about it.
It started when I updated to v3.4.8033, but I can't pinpoint the exact version the bug was introduced as I was a few years behind on updates at that point. I think I was running v3.2.x.

I can corroborate the way the bug manifests:
1. A change happens in the library
2. The auto-playlist updates accordingly
3. The .m3u file that's supposed to be updated is not, even though "automatically export a static copy" is checked
4. I can force the .m3u files to be updated by right-clicking each individual auto-playlist -> Edit Auto-Playlist -> Save

This happens for all my auto-playlists.
I loved a track just now (on 2022-09-04) and my "Loved Drum & Bass" playlist updated accordingly, but the .m3u file did not. It hasn't been changed since the last time I did a manual export pass (4. in the list above) of all my playlists on 2022-08-07.

Any chance of this getting a fix? I use the exported .m3u files to get my playlists "synced" to PowerAmp on Android and it just no longer works as smoothly as it used to (and frankly, should).

phred

• Global Moderator
I'm not seeing this behavior. Nor have I ever noticed this behavior. I've been using MB for more than ten years.

My exported playlists are .pls format. I just checked my "added in the past 4 weeks" playlist and the tracks which were added yesterday are in the playlist.

Just for the hell of it, try changing the format for the exported playlist.

You might also try updating to the latest 3.5 version from the downloads section of the forum and then applying the patch in my signature.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

VIV_ID

I regret to report that neither of those fixed the issue.
Switching to .pls format made it create a .pls file for the playlist that was most recently changed, but it didn't update upon subsequent changes. It also looked like it updated the most recent playlist when launching the program, but not any others.
Same story after updating to 3.5.8282.

Is there a debug logger that I could use to see what happens (or doesn't happen) when I love tracks that should be added to these lists?

EDIT: I just noticed that there was a new topic for this issue opened a few days ago, after I'd found this topic via Google. In it, Steven says that "MB exports auto-playlists when MB is closed and anything in the library has changed." I did not know this, and expected the files to be updated immediately. I always thought they had done that previously, but I might be mistaken.
Anyway, simply closing MusicBee (after updating to 3.5.8282) seems to be the ticket here. It's a bit cumbersome, as I never close MB otherwise, but at least it works.
Last Edit: September 04, 2022, 05:16:33 PM by VIV_ID