Author Topic: Disappearing files on SD transfer  (Read 5310 times)

Muffins5596

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 4
I've been having this issue for about a week now
I'm using Musicbee previously on version 3.3, now on the latest 3.4.7805
I downloaded a patch a little while ago but not sure how much good that did I've been having this issue on every version I've used
I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate and the phone I'm transferring to is a Sony Xperia 1 II

Now with all that said, the issue is I've been trying to transfer my 400gb or so worth of songs onto my Micro SD cards for weeks now. One is a 1tb PNY card, the other is a 512gb SanDisk. I'll give a small timeline too

First attempt I try transferring to the PNY card. MusicBee shows errors when transferring and says it couldn't transfer literally everything that it tried to, it just created empty folders
I go into the files and fix a few things then try again
Then I hear PNY cards are a bit faulty so I try the SanDisk one now too
Transfer files to both, MusicBee sees no issues, so I think I'm all good, until I check the files and see it's all blank folders but space is still being used
At this point I don't know what's going on so I update from 3.3 to 3.4 and try a patch. Same thing happens.
Just to make sure there's no issues with the cards, I transfer my other files like pictures and books to it, and those stay in there fine but not the music
Just to make sure it's not MusicBee again, I see if it's my phone that can't read it.
I put the SD card in my phone and it gets the books and pictures fine but no music
Then I try downloading the files individually or in batches. That's been hit or miss. Most recently the batch I downloaded, so like 10 albums at once, that way fine, but the additional ones I added individually haven't shown up.
I'll take the SD card out after a download and put them back in to see if they stay, sometimes they do and sometimes they don't
The most concerning thing of all is that it still takes up space every time. So I've been constantly having to wipe the cards.

At this point I have no idea what the issue could be. I've updated to the latest version as of this post and it's still happening. Sometimes I wonder if it's the size of the library but that honestly was never an issue before, it's only a recent development, so perhaps the issue is the phone. It did just come out last year but God only knows what the real issue might be.

If anyone has a solution or a similar problem please let me know. Last thing in gonna try is just transferring from the direct music folder then finally figure out if it's my phone or MusicBee, or hell maybe even my SD cards could be that both are somehow faulty. I'll post results here later, I'm currently on mobile

frankz

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 3868
How are you determining that the files aren't there? In window file explorer or in the phone's file manager or somehow else? 

If space is being used, then something is there.

Muffins5596

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 4
How are you determining that the files aren't there? In window file explorer or in the phone's file manager or somehow else?  

If space is being used, then something is there.

Both, really. I checked for corruption in Windows' command prompt and it was always showing 0 bytes corrupted, however nothing would display on either device

Muffins5596

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 4
Just checked at home, there's definitely something weird
There's still the issue of ejecting the disk and having the files disappear, so it's definitely not the phone or at least if it is it's not causing it at the first step.
It's also not an issue with the SD Cards, when MusicBee adds files it does something weird, but whatever that something is I'm not sure. A 200mb music folder shouldn't disappear after ejecting and putting it back in. However there's the issue of the space still being used
Unless it's as frankz may be implying with it being the fault of the file explorer, I'd have to point towards MusicBee, which again worked in the past so I'm not sure what the case could be

Perhaps I can wipe all data from it and do a fresh install?

frankz

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 3868
So what is listed as taking up all of this space then?  

For example, when I go into X-Plore or the Samsung file manager on my phone, I can get a listing or "disc map" like

Photos - xxx gb
Music - xxx gb
Documents - xxx gb

and so on.

I just read your next post.  I'm not sure what you think MB could be doing that's "weird."  Maybe a screenshot of your file settings for the device would help.

To me, there's about a 29% chance you've got a bad card or bad cards, about a 70% chance that whatever device you're inserting the card into on your computer is bad, and a 1% chance that MusicBee suddenly imploded and stopped knowing how to sync devices, but just for you.

Muffins5596

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 4
So what is listed as taking up all of this space then? 

For example, when I go into X-Plore or the Samsung file manager on my phone, I can get a listing or "disc map" like

Photos - xxx gb
Music - xxx gb
Documents - xxx gb

and so on.

I just read your next post.  I'm not sure what you think MB could be doing that's "weird."  Maybe a screenshot of your file settings for the device would help.

To me, there's about a 29% chance you've got a bad card or bad cards, about a 70% chance that whatever device you're inserting the card into on your computer is bad, and a 1% chance that MusicBee suddenly imploded and stopped knowing how to sync devices, but just for you.

It's really nothing special. When I go into properties on Windows file manager after installing 400gb worth of music on my SD card, I see 400gb used up. Then in the files themselves I see folders with a band, let's say something you might like for example The Village People, and the folder itself is empty. No Village People albums or anything. On the phone just using the stock file explorer, which I think is Google, it shows nothing as well. I get the same results, and when I plug the SD Card back into the computer, it'll still say the space is used up.
Strangely enough, MusicBee won't tell me the space is used and just installs the files as normal.
I'm going to continue troubleshooting, because as of right now I just transfered files from my computer, which went fine, and from the freshly installed MusicBee which also went fine. You can tell me at any point to close the thread if you don't think this is a MusicBee-specific issue, but I don't want to rule the possibility out, which is why I waited weeks to post here anyway. I don't have evidence against it, I like MusicBee, I just want to completely rule it out so I can figure out what to get rid of or fix or whatever

frankz

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 3868
IMO you don't ever need to close a thread.  I'm nobody to tell you either way.  I'm just a user here like everyone else (except the mods and Steven).

If you do figure it out, though, it would be nice to post the outcome here so someone in the future might benefit from it.