Author Topic: Abnormally high disk usage on startup since updating to 3.4.7805 P  (Read 1988 times)

SonicRings

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 270
I recently updated to 3.4.7805 P and since then I've noticed very abnormally high disk usage whenever I start up MusicBee.

I know on startup it scans monitored folders for new music, but those scans have always only ever been about 500 KB/s read. The current speeds I'm seeing are from about 10 MB/s to well over 50 MB/s. In addition, there's this new "x" which appears in the bottom left that never showed up before. Sometimes it also includes the name of the current playing/paused song, like in the screenshot below, other times it's just an x with no text.



Clicking it ceases all disk activity. I'm really not sure what this is. Here are a couple screenshots of my relevant settings, please let me know if I need to provide additional info to help troubleshooting.




frankz

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 3305
Yes, I have seen this too.  I'm on 3.4.7792P right now. I don't have any monitored folders.

In my mind, I attributed it to having updated the MusicBee Remote plugin around the time I noticed it.   I also noticed a large AppData\mb_remote\cache\covers folder that seems to update when I open MB.  

Did you also update this plugin around when you started noticing this?
Last Edit: May 30, 2021, 03:20:28 PM by frankz
A smile is happiness you'll find right under your nose.

SonicRings

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 270
Yes, I have seen this too.  I'm on 3.4.7792P right now. I don't have any monitored folders.

In my mind, I attributed it to having updated the MusicBee Remote plugin around the time I noticed it.   I also noticed a large AppData\mb_remote\cache\covers folder that seems to update when I open MB.  

Did you also update this plugin around when you started noticing this?

Ah, yes, I also updated that plugin. I think your suspicions might be right and it's the plugin that is the culprit. I'll try downgrading when I get back home and report back.

SonicRings

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 270
Yes, I have seen this too.  I'm on 3.4.7792P right now. I don't have any monitored folders.

In my mind, I attributed it to having updated the MusicBee Remote plugin around the time I noticed it.   I also noticed a large AppData\mb_remote\cache\covers folder that seems to update when I open MB.  

Did you also update this plugin around when you started noticing this?
Just tested, that is indeed the culprit. Thanks for the help. Looks like this calls for a post on the plugin's support forum thread.

The plugin was also the reason this window pops up when you try closing MusicBee while the task is running, something I've never seen before:



Not even sure what the purpose of the artwork cache is. I've updated the android app and didn't see any way to view the artwork of the music other than whatever was currently playing anyway.

Also, as a side note, clicking No makes MusicBee close anyway, but the task remains running, so I have to actually kill MusicBee in the task manager to be able to open it again. You'd think clicking No would close that window and leave MusicBee's window open...

What's it even reading? No music has been added at all today yet every time it's reading at ridiculous speeds:

Last Edit: May 30, 2021, 07:55:24 PM by SonicRings

kelsos

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 302
Hey, it could be a bug with the cover caching mechanism, that I introduced (it is used with v1.5.0 of the Android app).

If you updated the plugin to 1.4.0 and you are running into these issues please can you give me more information about the machines and library sizes? e.g number of albums in the library?

SonicRings

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 270
Hey, it could be a bug with the cover caching mechanism, that I introduced (it is used with v1.5.0 of the Android app).

If you updated the plugin to 1.4.0 and you are running into these issues please can you give me more information about the machines and library sizes? e.g number of albums in the library?
I'm not sure what you mean by "machines" but if you're asking for my specs, I have a Ryzen 1800X and GTX 1080TI.
I have 9566 albums.

frankz

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 3305
I've seen this issue here.

CPU: I7-8700K
RAM: 16GB
Media Drive: 4TB WD Red (a 5400 rpm drive)
Albums: 11,952
Files in Cache (MB and Cache are on a SSD): 11,067.
-- 11,024 of them were created the day I upgraded to 1.4.0. The 43 covers added to cache since seem to be in line with what I've added and adjusted in that time.  Maybe some of my miscellaneous stray tracks don't have art, don't know if it's ~900 of them though. It certainly could be.

I run the same copy of MB from a networked directory on three different machines if that matters.

I've gone down to 1.1.0.  I admire that you're adding to the plugin, but I don't need all that functionality.  I basically want to just be able to look at the art for the current track, play/pause/skip/etc, rate tracks, and maybe rearrange the now playing queue or look at lyrics sometimes. That's all in 1.1.0.  The one feature I miss is "stop after current," but that's about it.
A smile is happiness you'll find right under your nose.