Author Topic: Disc Number  (Read 1971 times)

UTSquishy

I just updated to the newest version and now In the Album and Tracks Layout, when there is a tag for disc number it displays Disc and then lists the number.

I was using that tag for Multi-Disc sets but instead of listing just the disc number I was naming what that disc contains.
(I.E. for the new John Lennon - Plastic Ono Band Box set I just got, Disc 1 is called Album and Singles New Stereo Mix, Disc 2 is called Outtakes).

With the new version Now it says "Disc Album and Singles," and "Disc Outtakes."

Is there a way to have it the way it was before and not display "Disc" before displaying the tag for disc number?

hiccup

I hope I misunderstand, but you haven't been using these two small 'disc:' fields that are intended for digits only to enter full text have you?:

Non-numeric tags such as 'Set Subtitle' are intended for that specific purpose.

UTSquishy

As a matter of fact I have been using those fields with full text. But I use MP3Tag to do my tagging, not Music Bee.
It works beautifully for keeping track what content is on what disc on Super Deluxe Editions.

The Incredible Boom Boom

As a matter of fact I have been using those fields with full text. But I use MP3Tag to do my tagging, not Music Bee.
It works beautifully for keeping track what content is on what disc on Super Deluxe Editions.

ID3v2, VORBIS and other tag specifications advise against using tags for other-than-specified purposes, so you should display your text the proper way, rather than jerry-rig something that will break (again) and be an annoyance for others to try and assist with.

You can create a custom tag with the "Set Subtitle" tag, then copy the text from the <Disc#> tag to whatever you name your new Custom Tag. Lastly, you'll create a Virtual Tag combining the disc number and set subtitle to display as a track sub-grouping. 
Last Edit: May 27, 2021, 02:42:05 PM by The Incredible Boom Boom

hiccup

I think you should really change your workflow and use 'Set Subtitle for this.
Not only does Mp3tag easily handle and suggest that:
https://help.mp3tag.de/main_tags.html

But also metadata providers will be using a Set Subtitle tag to provide such information.
None of them will use a numeric disc # tag to store such text values and disc names.

UTSquishy

I'm just going to keep doing it the way I've been doing it (Waaaay too much work to change it at this point). I can roll back to an old version of Music Bee if I have to (I only upgraded to the latest to try and fix something else - but that wasn't the fix - and the fix was something I could have done in the old version).

I just wondered if the word "Disc" could be removed from the way it displays like it used to be - if that's not possible, I can live with it.

hiccup

I just wondered if the word "Disc" could be removed from the way it displays like it used to be - if that's not possible, I can live with it.
Maybe another user has a suggestion.
I am guessing chances the developer will revert any handling of this are very slim.
But I think you may be over-estimating the effort it would take to correct this mistake. (I'm sorry, but it is)
And, you will be closing the possibility to ever update MusicBee again, and you'll run into problems as soon as you want to use providers such as MusicBrainz that can provide you with disc subtitle data without you having the need to type anything yourself.
But obviously it's your prerogative.
Last Edit: May 27, 2021, 03:54:09 PM by hiccup

Corliss Rain

I'm just going to keep doing it the way I've been doing it (Waaaay too much work to change it at this point).

Ah, but that's what the Additional Tagging Tools plugin is for. Create a custom tag and use the Copy Tag or Swap Tag function to move that info into the custom tag. Easy peasy.