Author Topic: Genres Used for Each Album  (Read 1221 times)

avididid

What are the average as to how many genres you assign to each album  I'm trying to keep it at 1 per album but sometimes 2?  Just trying to see how others tag their metadata!! Tks, Newbie David

phred

• Global Moderator
I've had as many as three. Or four.
Someone like Janis Joplin for instance. Rock, Blues, R&B.
One of the above or all of the above.
Oh, and if it's a bootleg live album I'd add 'bootleg' as a fourth genre. You can argue if bootleg is a genre or not, but like many things in music, it's a person interpretation and I've made it a genre.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

hiccup

I'm using MusicBrainz' Picard and some tweaked plugins and scripts to retrieve and write genres.
I have set it to write a maximum of 20 genres.
But in reality, on average it will result in something between 2 and 6 genres being assigned.
It resulting in more than 10 is very rare.

I would delete the ones I find to be completely wrong or useless, but the results are pretty good actually, and I am not convinced it's worth my time and effort to do a lot of manual editing.
And when I feel compelled to do so, I don't edit my files, but I edit the release at MusicBrainz.
So at a next synkgronization my files get updated accordingly. (and hopefully other MusicBrainz/Picard/MusicBee users also benefit)

And, as a full disclosure: I am not allowing any software to touch/write/edit my 'genre' tag.
I have a custom tag 'genre retrieved' that gets populated like this.
Last Edit: May 25, 2021, 06:15:30 PM by hiccup

avididid