Author Topic: new placement of "configure fields" button  (Read 776 times)

boroda

could "configure fields" button be moved one level up, next to "define new tags" button? current button placement is not logical and obvious.

it would be helpful to move the definition of virtual tags one level up also, next to the definition of custom tags.

-----------

edit:

maybe, it's better to rename "define new tags" to "customize tags", and move custom tag definitions to the current "define new tags" window (above virtual tags panel). and, rename "configure fields" button to something like "field properties".
Last Edit: December 23, 2022, 11:49:56 PM by boroda

hiccup

it would be helpful to move the definition of virtual tags one level up also, next to the definition of custom tags.
F.w.i.:
That button is also already available under Tags(2) > Tag Handling
And that's a more logical position, since it affects all tag fields, not only custom or virtual.

That it's also under Tag Definition is probably to draw some more attention to the feature.
Which makes sense, since I think to remember that I have been completely unaware of the feature the first years of me using MusicBee ;-)

edit:
What would improve awareness of this feature, is if it was indicated somewhere with the tag itself what format (number/date/string/enumerated/etc.) it is set to use.
Something like this could be an option?:

Last Edit: December 24, 2022, 08:50:55 AM by hiccup

boroda

you are right, but i still think that custom and virtual tag definitions must be combined into one window.

boroda

What would improve awareness of this feature, is if it was indicated somewhere with the tag itself what format (number/date/string/enumerated/etc.) it is set to use.
Something like this could be an option?:

maybe.

i would rename "configure fields" button to (probably) "tag representations". to emphasize the difference between "customize" (which is almost the same as "configure") and "representation".

hiccup

i would rename "configure fields" button to (probably) "tag representations". to emphasize the difference between "customize" (which is almost the same as "configure") and "representation".
I agree it could be clearer. Perhaps 'customise field types…'

boroda

not only types, but also displayed names and alignments (left/center/right).