Author Topic: WiFi Speakers - Not Bluetooth - And Music Bee  (Read 5263 times)

musicbee4dwd

Hi musicbee4dwd

Some remarks:

I don't trust programs to do that using meta

You better dump Musicbee as hell as its excellent interface thrives on accurate meta data  :)
Tagging won't harm your audio and allows you to browse, sort and search your audio in a very flexible way.
Of course you need a good file system anyway.
This is my take on tagging: https://www.thewelltemperedcomputer.com/TG/Tagging.html

Windows to identify the speakers thorough WiFi?
Doesn't ring a bell.
The difference between WiFi and Ethernet is that the first one is done wireless and the second one wired.
The crucial thing, the protocols used remain the same.

a software that is for general use
Have a good look at UPnP
This is the network protocol for streaming AV lossless over the LAN: https://www.thewelltemperedcomputer.com/KB/UPnP.html

Your android phone is not a toy, it is the remote (control point in UPnP speak) for controlling your renderer for playing the track you want to hear.
Best

Vincent

I do tag them, when I have spare time. Thing is, if they are not tagged properly, I can still find my music (no untagged orphans). All of my local music if filed sing directory level sub directories. that way I'm not dependent on any software tagging implementation. I can always  transfer my music to any device simply by copying it, and it's always organized using Windows directory structures.

I don't want an Android phone inbetween my source and destination.

musicbee4dwd

I believe HP also had a dac that could work wireless by means of a propriatary wifi dongle.
And the reviews on it were quite o.k.
Such a solution seems a no-brainer interesting option that manufacturers should easily be able to monetize.
No dependency on any 3rd party protocols or other devices. Just a 'wireless cable' using your own dongle and technology.
Actual plug and play.
I've no idea why such solutions don't seem available these days.
(perhaps you can find them on the digital silk route?)

You would think, but I believe it is because very few people have home systems anymore, or even use PC/Personal computers, or even laptops, unless they must for work. Most people are sing cell phones for everything. that's why when you try t have a conversation in email, and you are trying to be specific, like we are here, you get back:

"Okay."

That's because they are using their thumbs to type and having any sort of detailed conversation would take them days to type out on a F-ing phone. But, it is what it is, but IT is not for me. Using your thumbs to communicate on a 4" screen is idiotic.

About the best we can do now is buy Amps that have Wireless capability and ditch Bluetooth altogether. If Bluetooth gets to the point it is as god as WiFi, then I'm in. I don't have a problem with new technology, as long as it is "as good" as old technology. Bluetooth aptX HD and Adaptive seem to be going in the right direction. Although from what I have read. Adaptive 'chooses the best" quality fr you. And FU on that. We all now how that works. Creative does have a Bluetooth aptX HD dongle that actually has lights on it so you can tell when you are transmitting aptx/HD or when, for example, SBC is being used. But this "automatic" stuff is just generic talk, to me anyway.

musicbee4dwd

I believe HP also had a dac that could work wireless by means of a propriatary wifi dongle.
And the reviews on it were quite o.k.
Such a solution seems a no-brainer interesting option that manufacturers should easily be able to monetize.
No dependency on any 3rd party protocols or other devices. Just a 'wireless cable' using your own dongle and technology.
Actual plug and play.
I've no idea why such solutions don't seem available these days.
(perhaps you can find them on the digital silk route?)

You would think, but I believe it is because very few people have home systems anymore, or even use PC/Personal computers, or even laptops, unless they must for work. Most people are sing cell phones for everything. that's why when you try t have a conversation in email, and you are trying to be specific, like we are here, you get back:

"Okay."

That's because they are using their thumbs to type and having any sort of detailed conversation would take them days to type out on a F-ing phone. But, it is what it is, but IT is not for me. Using your thumbs to communicate on a 4" screen is idiotic.

About the best we can do now is buy Amps that have Wireless capability and ditch Bluetooth altogether. If Bluetooth gets to the point it is as god as WiFi, then I'm in. I don't have a problem with new technology, as long as it is "as good" as old technology. Bluetooth aptX HD and Adaptive seem to be going in the right direction. Although from what I have read. Adaptive 'chooses the best" quality fr you. And FU on that. We all now how that works. Creative does have a Bluetooth aptX HD dongle that actually has lights on it so you can tell when you are transmitting aptx/HD or when, for example, SBC is being used. But this "automatic" stuff is just generic talk, to me anyway.
You might have a look at https://audioengineusa.com/shop/adapters/b-fi-multiroom-music-streamer/
Although no longer maintained, you might give this plugin a shot: https://getmusicbee.com/addons/plugins/11/upnp-dlna-device-support/

B-Fi requires the Audioengine Control app for initial setup. I've seen this before, and ti might work well. It seems to be able to play multiple sets of speakers at the same time--given you have 189.00 for each set you want to use. lol

musicbee4dwd

Although no longer maintained, you might give this plugin a shot: https://getmusicbee.com/addons/plugins/11/upnp-dlna-device-support/
The UPNP plugin works for some folks and doesn't work for others. On the not working side is that it has the ability to be a memory hog. Often to the point of bringing the PC to a standstill and sometimes going to a blue screen. This can happen as long as the plugin is installed. It doesn't actually have to be in use. As Vincent says, look though the thread and if you think it can do what you're looking for, then download it and test it. You may be one of the lucky ones and have it work with no issues. Please post any questions about the plugin in the plugin's thread and not here on this thread.

Hey Phred,

I'm not even going to do that for these speakers I'm reviewing. I've stopped trying kludge things together in Wondows. It takes a lot of time, and then one Windows update, and everything you spent hours or days trying make work is broken (and you have forgotten what you did to make it work in the first place). It's just not worth it to me anymore.

I've contacted the vendor and ask if they can be used on WiFi with Windows 10, and they replied "yes" but dd not elaborate. So I sent them another message asking "how?" No reply yet and if I don't get one, I'm just going to report that I could not find a way to connect them to Windows 10 using WiFi. I've spent enough time on them.