Author Topic: Synchronizing questions  (Read 7306 times)

Kabukiman

I'm trying to synchronize my music from PC to Android. I synced all my songs the other day by syncing "playlists" and not "music". Why is there a "music" option if syncing playlists also syncs the music within them? And now I've added more songs to my playlists, so I would like to add them to my phone, but when I go to synchronize, it goes through every single song all over again. How do I make it only add the new songs? Is there a way to select the specific songs I want to sync?

frankz

"Music" is your entire Music library .  "Playlists" is playlists and the songs in them.

It should only resync files that have changed since your last sync.  If you changed your sync naming template or a setting that would rewrite the files being sent to the device (embed don't embed artwork, lyrics etc.) between then and now, this will include everything because everything on the android device will be named according to the new name template or synched with the changed option, so it is a changed file.
Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 12:52:30 PM by frankz

Kabukiman

"Music" is your entire Music library .  "Playlists" is playlists and the songs in them.

It should only resync files that have changed since your last sync.  If you changed your sync naming template or a setting that would rewrite the files being sent to the device (embed don't embed artwork, lyrics etc.) between then and now, this will include everything because everything on the android device will be named according to the new name template or synched with the changed option, so it is a changed file.
So if only, say, a tag is changed, will it redownload the whole song and all of the tags, or will it just download the tag onto the file that's already there?

frankz

It cannot write tags to files on your phone. 

If the "date changed" on your computer is more recent than the "date changed" on the device, it will resync the file from your computer to your phone.

Kabukiman

If the "date changed" on your computer is more recent than the "date changed" on the device, it will resync the file from your computer to your phone.
What do you mean it doesn't sync tags? Why wouldn't it?

frankz

What?  Please read what I said.
MusicBee adjusts the tags in the file on your computer.  This updates the "date changed" for the file on your computer.  If that date is newer than the "date changed" of the file for that song that's on your phone, MusicBee will send the new version of the file to your phone, overwriting the one that's there.

MusicBee does not have the ability of reaching onto an existing file on your device and adjusting its tags or otherwise editing it.  That's not what synching does.  Synching is looking at what's on your phone and then taking what's on your computer and putting it on your phone if what's on your computer is newer than what's already on your phone.

Kabukiman

What?  Please read what I said.
MusicBee adjusts the tags in the file on your computer.  This updates the "date changed" for the file on your computer.  If that date is newer than the "date changed" of the file for that song that's on your phone, MusicBee will send the new version of the file to your phone, overwriting the one that's there.

MusicBee does not have the ability of reaching onto an existing file on your device and adjusting its tags or otherwise editing it.  That's not what synching does.  Synching is looking at what's on your phone and then taking what's on your computer and putting it on your phone if what's on your computer is newer than what's already on your phone.
What you said was confusing. I didn't know whether you meant it didn't sync songs with tags, or if it didn't adjust tags to songs that already exist on the device.
But I appreciate the responses. Also, for future reference, it's "syncing" and not "synching".

frankz

Also, for future reference, it's "syncing" and not "synching".
"For future reference," help yourself.

hiccup

Both versions seem to be acceptable :D
I am guessing the response was mostly because of some sensitivity to grammar nazi behaviour.
Publicly lecturing someone about an assumed grammatical mistake is usually frowned upon.
Being wrong about the other person being wrong deserves a double-dip frown upon.
Lecturing a person that is trying to help you… triple-dip?