Author Topic: New User Comments  (Read 2987 times)

Andreia

• Photographer by day, derp gamer by night.
So I've tried it for a few days and as a very fresh user here's my off-the-cuff feedback. It may be the case that the things I say are easily remedied and I just didn't figure out how to do it.

- I can create new tab, but can't set it to have all my albums, I would like a tab listing my albums. Why can I only pick artists and albums from the left side menu? Why can't I create a tab that displays albums in the central screen? I'm not a fan of browsing albums and artists only on the left side menu.

- I like the bottom panel configuration, I think it should be larger/taller by default, as all elements start too small, but at least I could configure that to my liking.

- Why do you have to pin the top menu categories (tabs) in order to show them without a ...? And even then it still shows ... sometimes. There's so much room on that menu bar, why crop the names? And why is the font so small, and ugly?

This is what I have from just a few days, really basic UX (user experience) stuff. But like I said, maybe I'm just not figuring out how to do it. The bottom line is that I would really like a tab with all my albums in the middle, with big covers (configurable). The same goes for an artist tab, all my artists with big covers/pictures, and you could configure the size of said covers, like Plex or Steam.

I want to drop Spotify and just use my own music library a lot more, but Music Bee seems a bit bare-bones to a new user that just wants things to be intuitive, larger (literally such small fonts, it's not a spreadsheet), and more accessible.

All the best,
Andreia
Last Edit: May 10, 2021, 04:10:46 AM by psychoadept
Photographer by day, derp gamer by night.

frankz

- I can create new tab, but can't set it to have all my albums, I would like a tab listing my albums. Why can I only pick artists and albums from the left side menu? Why can't I create a tab that displays albums in the central screen? I'm not a fan of browsing albums and artists only on the left side menu.
The very first listing at the top of that menu should be All (Artists or Albums or whichever list it is)

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I split this topic and moved it to the questions board, which seems like a better fit

Have you explored the wiki any yet? The views you're talking about are possible, it's just that MusicBee has SO many options it's not necessarily obvious how to make it happen.  For example, fonts and font sizes are customizable, but there are different settings for different parts of the interface.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

wobbly

stick with musicbee , it will take some time to get your head around... but once you get it .. there is so much it can do

ma_t14

What resolution is your monitor? I'm asking because the UI complaints you mention sound a bit strange which makes me wonder. I don't know how well MusicBee behaves with HiDPI monitors, never got a chance to try it with one myself. Someone else that did, feel free to chime in.

A screenshot would help others to see what you see.

p/s
...Music Bee seems a bit bare-bones to a new user...

I've heard MB be described many things but "bare-bones" is a first :D
Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 09:53:46 AM by ma_t14

musicplayeralt

I'd second wobbly's recommendation. When I first started using MusicBee a few months ago (also switched over from Spotify), there were a few design decisions that perplexed me. There was a learning curve involved. However, I had a feeling to stick with that software because it seemed to be everything i was looking for in a music player. I'm supremely happy that I did. It does everything I want, it's fast, you can customize it in so many ways (I think I've only hit the tip of the iceberg on how i can customize it), and most importantly for me it works very well (for me at least). Also, interstingly enough, the more I began to use it, I started to see the logic behind a few of the design decisions that perplexed me initially. Kind of like an aha moment, oh I totally get now why they did it like that. I'm very happy I stuck with it. Hope it works well for you. Sorry I could not give insight in to the specific questions you asked, I don't have enough experience with it to speak to those things.