Author Topic: MusicBee not managing multiple/featuring artists very well with id3v2.4 tags  (Read 2014 times)

mo418

Hi,

I made some research but could not find the info. I used Musicbrainz Picard to tag my music files, using id3v2.4 and semi columns ";" to separate artists.

When I import my music in MusicBee and I sort by "artist", I see many "Artist X feat. Artist Y" instead of single artist name in the list. Album Artist are ok, but not Artist view itself.

What do I need to do (or option to check) to see separate artist in MusicBee, other than using the manual edit/split function on the song and split artists in 2.

Thanks in advance!

PS: Works flawless in Kodi when I import the files. I see single artist and no combined artists in Artist view so I guess my files are well tagged.
PPS: Sorry for my english, my native language is french.

frankz

In your views, Artist will show display artists.  If you have Artist1; Artist2 in display artist, that's the way it will show in the artist view.  In the thumbnail browser (left main panel if you use it), Artist will show each artist.

If you want to display that field but don't want them to show up that way, you will need to adjust display artist in the splitter while maintaining the individual artists in the list below that field.

If you want to see listings for individual artists in your view, Use Other Tags->Artists: Artist

mo418

I'm sorry, very new to MusicBee. Went through many menus but couldn't find the "Other Tags->Artists: Artist" option.

May you tell me where is it located please?

Thanks again

frankz

Can you post a screenshot of which area of the program you're talking about and where you'd want to change it? Thanks.

mo418

Hi! Sorry if I'm not clear. Despite this is not what I listen to really (!), this is what I have in hands for the screenshot.

I would like separate artists there.

Thanks

frankz

In the pull down menu at the upper-left (where it says Artists now) choose Other Tags->Artists:Artist instead.

frankz

Then your files are not tagged correctly.  Those phrases appear in individual artist tags (rather than just in Display Artist as you seem to want).

mo418

Everything has been tagged correctly using MBP, with semi columns as separators and id3v2.4 standard.

Here is an example of a file tags that does not show correctly in MusicBee:

And here is what I see in the file properties (with tag inspector)

Please, correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks

MAJOR EDIT: Replaced wrong images with good ones!
Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 03:04:24 AM by mo418

frankz

File properties in what program? Not MB.  That not the MB tag inspector.

You are tagging in the artists tag in Picard, not the artist (no s) tag

mo418

Wow, sorry! I'm trying to find a mediamanager that suits my needs. I'm testing MediaMonkey at the same time. My bad, I've put the wrong images (wrong software)

I'll edit my post in a few.  :-[
Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 03:09:45 AM by mo418

frankz

I don't use that in Picard and mine are fine. You have no artist tag because you're tagging in artists and not artist. MB is showing you exactly what you're feeding it.

I'm not expert in Picard enough (at all really) to be able to know why that would be. I just know I tag my files with Picard and they have artist tags. Maybe someone with deeper Picard knowledge could offer advice.

mo418

Hi, thanks for the prompt reply.

The ARTIST tag is shown on the first image.

Name: ARTIST
Tag Code: TPE1
Value: 50 Cent feat. Eminem.

I think we pinpointed the culprit. Now I need to find why Picard act this way (well, I guess that's the issue).

mo418

I've used the script suggested here https://community.metabrainz.org/t/sorting-multiple-artists-album-artists/390096/4

Code
$if($in(%artists%,;),$copy(artist,artists),)

And it is working! Artists are show separately in artists view (in library). Though, the image is not corresponding to the artist, but I guess that's a detail.

I'll try to mess with some other scripting, see if I could even make it better (like the one suggest in the official MusicBee support pages HERE)

===
EDIT: NOPE, the official script from MusicBee works good with MusicBee but messes stuff a little with Mediamonkey and Kodi since it adds a "guest artist" tag and I suppose it is not well supported by other software (a simple guess here).

So, to sum up, my issue was that:
1 - MBP seemed to merge and put "Artist X feat. Artist Y" directly in the "ARTIST SORT ORDER" tag
2 - This tag made MusicBee create and show a new single artist with both artists names combined  (everytime a multiple artists songs was added)
3 - Using the script below in the scripting section of MBP, MusicBee was able to show separate artist in library view and not merge them into a single one.
Code
$if($in(%artists%,;),$copy(artist,artists),)

And this did not seem to interfere with Mediamonkey or Kodi functionality!

Thanks for your support
Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 04:37:22 AM by mo418