Author Topic: Using MusicBee on Mac (and PC?)  (Read 5551 times)

esparrow

Recently, I changed from PC to Mac, and I had a very mixed user experience. The worst part is organising my music: There is simply NOTHING like MusicBee, and after trying out many programs there was no alternative but to instal MusicBee on my Mac via Crossover.

I am very glad that this is at all possible (I would be SO, SO glad, if one day, dear Steven, you could program a native MusicBee version for Mac!!).

However, there are some issues which make it difficult to use MusicBee on a Mac.

First, it seems that you cannot drag and drop files. Sometimes this is quite important, for instance, if you want to send files into a playlist or from the inbox to audiobooks/podcasts/music. Is there any way to enable drag and drop for MusicBee on a Mac?

The second problem relates to my android phone. I would love (or, rather, need to!) sync certain playlists which I created in MusicBee (and the music therein) into my android device. Mac, however, blocks android devices, although there seems to be third party software to connect the file anyhow.

Is there any way to sync an android phone with MusicBee on a Mac? Maybe via a cloud service? Or using the MusiBee library both on a Mac and on a PC (maybe using Bootcamp)? It would be just great to use the same MusicBee library both on Mac and on PC, but I fear that - for instance for my podcasts - the folder structure might be destroyed when I access the same library files from two different systems.

I know that my questions are quite extraordinary, as MusicBee is a Windows program. Please take it as a confirmation how important this program is to me, and how singular it is - even when compared to a different platform. And, again: It would be just the greatest thing if one day there would be a Mac version of MusicBee.

Thank you all for your help!

phred

• Global Moderator
https://musicbee.fandom.com/wiki/FAQ#Will_MusicBee_be_ported_to_Mac.2FLinux.2Fother_OS.3F
Specifically "Please don't make posts on the forum asking for it;"

As for your playlists, export them to a flash drive (or anything else) and then import them to your Mac.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

esparrow

Thank you, Phred, for your reply!

In my post, the wish for having MusicBee for Mac is just a sidenote. Boiled down to their core, my questions are:

How can I use the same MusicBee Library on two machines (Mac/PC, PC/PC)?
Is there a way to connect an Android device to MusicBee running via CrossOver (Wine) on a Mac?

Thank you very much for all your help!

phred

• Global Moderator
How can I use the same MusicBee Library on two machines (Mac/PC, PC/PC)?
Use the portable version on both machines.

Is there a way to connect an Android device to MusicBee running via CrossOver (Wine) on a Mac?
You can do a wired (USB) or a WiFi sync between MB and Android devices. WiFi will allow you to also reverse sync from the Android to MB if you are using PowerAmp or Gone Mad on the Android. I have no idea what CrossOver is and you'll have to experiment with that on your own.
Last Edit: April 26, 2021, 01:18:45 PM by phred
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

esparrow

Thank you for your reply.

Would using the portable version allow me also to keep all references to the files on an external drive intact - even if they have different root drive names (eg. D:\My Music on the one and G:\My Music on the other machine)?

Would that also work with podcast subscriptions?

And, if I may ask, is there any proper way to import a preexisting library from a normal version to a portable version - again including all podcast files and subscriptions?

CrossOver is a program which allows one to use wine-based Windows programs on a Mac.

Thank you very much for you help!