Author Topic: How much do auto playlists impact performance?  (Read 1423 times)

Akira Q.

I have a full database of all my songs and have been setting up ratings and categories for them all for some months now and I was planning on just adding the ratings and the categories to the songs and making a bunch of auto playlists for various combinations of ratings and categories but I was wondering how much a lot of auto playlists would impact performance and storage.

I wasn't quite sure on the number I wanted but it would probably be over 100. I am probably planning on just having a few auto playlist "Templates" that I could just change around to suit my playlist needs anyways, but I thought it would be good to at least check if the bigger solution that requires less customization wouldn't take up too much space. Thanks in advance.

hiccup

Akira Q.

I'm not exactly worried, but I was wondering how much would a number of auto playlists (for example, 100) impact the performance and required storage space for MusicBee? Would it slow down by quite a bit or would it not impact performance at all?

hiccup

Would it slow down by quite a bit or would it not impact performance at all?
Slow down? In what way?
Have you experienced any performance issues that triggered you to ask about this?

phred

• Global Moderator
I have close to 90 playlists, with around 80 of them being auto-playlists. And some of those auto-playlists have over 6,000 tracks.

No impact on performance whatsoever.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

Batmang

I have 3 auto playlists I use for playback and syncing, using a whole bunch of stuff to prioritise higher rated tracks/albums.

These playlists are driven by around 15 auto playlists each. While it isn't that many auto playlists, they are very interdependent
I've only noticed any slowdown when trying it out on some really old hardware (I was bored...), and only when playlists are updated. Turning off the auto update option fixed that, though I want the automatic updates.