Author Topic: Auto DJ Improvement Ideas  (Read 4334 times)

G-Power

Imagine if MusicBee could use the tempo and Camelot/key values to actually mix songs.
Now I know that Mixxx's Auto-DJ can do exactly that, but having it all within MusicBee would be even more convenient.
Also one could customise the "Camelot value distance allowed" value. For example, tonalities that are too far apart for some might be acceptable for others.
Additionally, one could also modify the BPM distance value allowed, to avoid having songs which are abnormally stretched to fit the BPM.
Also, MusicBee could recognise that a song that is 87 BPM should be stretched to 90 BPM to suit a 180 BPM target value, instead of making it more than twice as fast.
I'm still just learning how to code for now, so these are just ideas which came to me but are far from reality as far as I'm concerned. 😶

phred

• Global Moderator
I would not like to see MB add this functionality. MB is a music manager, not a DJ application. And since there are many DJ applications in the world, I feel MB should stay true to it's roots and not become an "all-in-one." We don't need added bloat when there are other options available.

Just my two cents.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

G-Power

Just my two cents.

Considering that, I totally agree with you. Plus I agree that MB should be kept lightweight, too.
But it would be nice as a plug-in, though, so people who want it can add it. Do you think a plug-in could have that much flexibility within MusicBee, or is that type of technology too limited for what I'm looking for (is it only possible when coded into the application source)? Or maybe we could make it into an extension.

phred

• Global Moderator
MB doesn't make use of extensions. Unless you consider a plugin an extension.

As far as plugins go, I have no experience in their development and wouldn't hazard a guess as to whether or not one could be developed that does what you want. I do know that Steven would have to do a whole lot of work to the API in order for something like that to work.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

G-Power

Oh yes. I see.
We'll see what I manage to do with the little code I know... Maybe in one or two years I'll manage to make something like that work.
By the way, if a user modifies the API, is Steven open to reviewing it?

phred

• Global Moderator
By the way, if a user modifies the API, is Steven open to reviewing it?
I have no idea. Ask Steven.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

JAZZCRUSADER

• Keep it smooth...
Imagine if MusicBee could use the tempo and Camelot/key values to actually mix songs.
Now I know that Mixxx's Auto-DJ can do exactly that, but having it all within MusicBee would be even more convenient.
Also one could customise the "Camelot value distance allowed" value. For example, tonalities that are too far apart for some might be acceptable for others.
Additionally, one could also modify the BPM distance value allowed, to avoid having songs which are abnormally stretched to fit the BPM.
Also, MusicBee could recognise that a song that is 87 BPM should be stretched to 90 BPM to suit a 180 BPM target value, instead of making it more than twice as fast.
I'm still just learning how to code for now, so these are just ideas which came to me but are far from reality as far as I'm concerned. 😶

Thx, G-Power!

Now I know I'm wrong here! And thanks for the tip "MIXXX"! I believe this is exactly what I was looking for.

Maybe you have another good suggestion for me!? Since I don't need any great frills for my genre, I'm still looking for a tool that "automatically" mixes clean transitions, has a sophisticated design and, above all, allows user-friendly and simple operation.

Many thanks in advance!

😎 JAZZCRUSADER

Experience a rendezvous of sophisticated Soul, Acid, Fusion and Smooth Jazz, RnB, Funk and Lounge Music.
Last Edit: November 11, 2022, 05:21:12 AM by JAZZCRUSADER
Smooth Jazz & Funky Grooves