Author Topic: custom tags related to song ratings  (Read 2304 times)

bribbon

Good day,
I use musicbee and logitech media server to play my mp3 and flac files. but I can't get the song ratings to show up. the flac files [rating] work but the mp3 files [POPM] don't.

can someone please confirm that this configuration runs at all, that would help me a lot. I think that maybe here is the issue, but could not find any documentation.

what's your configuration?

vincent kars

I wonder what you wish to obtain by using a custom tag.
MusicBee's Rating tag wil display the rating of "any" file type.

hiccup

As a fellow-LMS user, I don't think LMS supports rating to begin with.
Are you using some plugin for it to get that functionality?

If so, it seems like an LMS/LMS plugin issue, and not so much a MusicBee issue?

bribbon

thank you for the two answers. I see I'm on the wrong track..
I had dealt with this issue a long time ago and at that time I thought that filling in the custom tags would result in the rating being saved in that particular format. this is completely wrong and I think I can clear all those custom tags.

I thought the old LMS installation on the synology had shown me the mp3 ratings.
what LMS plugin do you use to get the ratings showed? flac-files seems to work but not the mp3 files, based on IDtag2.3.

Have a nice sunday and thanks for your help

hiccup

what LMS plugin do you use to get the ratings showed?

I am not using ratings in my LMS interface.
Perhaps you could accomplish it with plugins such as Trackstat or Custom Browse?

phred

• Global Moderator
what LMS plugin do you use to get the ratings showed?
I too am a user of LMS, but I don't rate any of my tracks and therefore can't directly answer your question.

But I offer you this - Logitech has a gigantic user forum for the Squeeze line of devices. Perhaps asking over there about ratings will put you on the right track. And if you do find a solution over there, it would be a good idea to add it to this thread in case anyone else comes along with the same question.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

bribbon

I have both now a few days in operation and basically it does what I want, it displays the ratings no matter what tag-standard. there are a lot of setting options which I would like to adjust to my needs. thanks for the plugin suggestions.

In another way, LMS offers to display ratings by default without using an additional plugin.

so I thought there was something wrong with my mp3 files, or I was tagging wrong in MusicBee.

How a non-working mp3 rating is looking in LMS:

and how the working Flac rating looks:

hiccup

In another way, LMS offers to display ratings by default without using an additional plugin.

I don't recognize LMS from that screenshot at all?
That's not LMS on Windows is it?

bribbon

:-)

Thats LMS installed on a debian VM with the nice Material Skin.

and the picture you mentoined is the basic settings page, not the player setting or server setting. just the "basic" setting. Where you can change the colour of the GUI.
Last Edit: April 24, 2021, 12:55:08 PM by bribbon

hiccup

:-)
Thats LMS installed on a debian VM with the nice Material Skin.
That looks very different indeed.
Also: in my Windows install of LMS I can't find any reference to ratings. Maybe it's well hidden?

bribbon

Oh dear hiccup

I really recommend you to install the (skin-) plugin Material Skin under the server plugins page.
After you have to activate this skin under:
Server-Settings -> user interface -> Material Skin

the ancient skin you're using has some disadvantages and material skin is overall prettier, more intuitive and modern.
Moreover, it is currently still being further developed.

added:
the toggle for the rating settings are to find in the material skin settings page (I mentoined before)
Last Edit: April 24, 2021, 01:14:21 PM by bribbon

hiccup

the ancient skin you're using has some disadvantages and material skin is overall prettier, more intuitive and modern.
I am hardly ever interfacing with the interface, and I don't use it's player feature.
So how it looks is unimportant to me and I just leave it at the default interface.
The only purpose of LMS for me is to be able to use my Squeezeboxes.

So could it be that the rating functionality is an added feature of the skin that you are using?

bribbon

So could it be that the rating functionality is an added feature of the skin that you are using?
Yes, if I remember me correctly, that function didn't exists in the default skin.

hiccup

Yes, if I remember me correctly, that function didn't exists in the default skin.
That clears it up. So 'rating' is not an original LMS feature.
Perhaps the developer of that skin can help with the rating issues that you are experiencing?

bribbon

At the moment I'm trying it with the plugin: Custom Scan plugin version 1.4

Code
Rating Tag Settings
This module reads rating tags from the music files and stores them in the Squeezebox Server database. This is for example used by MediaMonkey and optionally also by Windows Media Player if you have choosed to store the rating information in the music files. The POPM tag available in the MP3 standard will always be read if available, but if the file also have a rating tag as specified below this will be used instead

and it looks promising, could good be that this was installed on my old synology LMS.