Author Topic: Library - Folder Name view question  (Read 919 times)

SoftwareSamurai

I guess I'm not understanding this specific view.
After creating my library and then changing over to the Library tab, and selecting Folder Name, I would have expected to see a list of directory folders instead of album folders.

My music directory folders are organized like this:

Code
music\
...<Artist>\
...folder.jpg
......<Album>\
......folder.jpg
......<music files>

But the Library - Folder Name view appears like this:

So for Van Halen's 1984 album, the folder tree looks like this:

Code
music\
...Van Halen\
...folder.jpg
......1984\
......folder.jpg
......<music files>

Is there an option to show the Artist folder first ("Van Halen"), then click to get into the Album folder ("1984") next?

TIA!

frankz

I don't believe there is. I'm pretty sure MusicBee will only display folders with music files in them.  

I'm curious as to why you wouldn't just use Artists view if this is basically the functionality you are looking to replicate. Skip the middle man. 

If you set the left main panel thumbnail browser to folder name and then stay on "All" at the top of that, you can set the artist view to group by album artist. 

You might be able to get closer to what you want by using the column browser, but I don't use it and am not sure on that.
Last Edit: April 24, 2021, 04:39:18 PM by frankz

SoftwareSamurai

Well, yes, you're correct in that switching to Artist view does essentially what I want. However, I've got several compilation albums that contain music from many artists. That makes it it tricky to select an entire album to play, such as my "'80's Pop Hits" album. :D

hiccup

Well, yes, you're correct in that switching to Artist view does essentially what I want. However, I've got several compilation albums that contain music from many artists. That makes it it tricky to select an entire album to play, such as my "'80's Pop Hits" album. :D
Do realise that MusicBee is not a folder player.
If the metadata (tags) of your compilation albums are in order there shouldn't be a problem in playing them.