Author Topic: iTunes import to Music Bee library returns unexpected error  (Read 953 times)

spacespaced

hi to all

when trying to import in library from itunes with xml file exported it MB returns the following error:

Code
MusicBee v3.4.7764.37422D  (Win10.0), 13 April 2021 11:53:

System.Xml.XmlException: the '\', hexadecimal value 0x5C, it's not a valid character Line 2, position 26.
   to System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(Exception e)
   to System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.DtdParserProxy.System.Xml.IDtdParserAdapter.Throw(Exception e)
   to System.Xml.DtdParser.Throw(Int32 curPos, String res, String[] args)
   to System.Xml.DtdParser.ParseExternalId(Token idTokenType, Token declType, String& publicId, String& systemId)
   to System.Xml.DtdParser.ParseInDocumentDtd(Boolean saveInternalSubset)
   to System.Xml.DtdParser.Parse(Boolean saveInternalSubset)
   to System.Xml.DtdParser.System.Xml.IDtdParser.ParseInternalDtd(IDtdParserAdapter adapter, Boolean saveInternalSubset)
   to System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseDtd()
   to System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseDoctypeDecl()
   to System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseDocumentContent()
   to System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Read()
   to System.Xml.XmlTextReader.Read()
   to System.Xml.XmlReader.MoveToContent()
   to #=zatckVoBgd6wVfBaQkjP8$wE=.#=zdKCA9ow=.#=zO5nuN$vm07ZeQv5FMg==(#=zoKrwgApZgrrQua03HQ== #=zMm5rWRwtNAvU, List`1& #=zO609_$Q=, List`1& #=zwjwn5UWv518TtqY4Mw==)
   σε #=zatckVoBgd6wVfBaQkjP8$wE=.#=zdKCA9ow=.#=zEOMzp2u1WY5F95foVjcAJVg=(#=zoKrwgApZgrrQua03HQ== #=zENJt9McCEA4jDDOoVQ==, Boolean #=zEOBuqJgqLokv, Boolean #=zpr8f6PrWSeL2, Boolean #=zRh8O$3llN2N0XIwU4w==)
   σε #=z_D5PHRWd6KkgjxhcoH0TJRmT_7yD.#=ztX$HOBsbHogy()

anyone knows what it is and how to get my library xml file imported correct?
note: When i hit the OK button in the prompt message is loading forever and when i hit CANCEL it informs me that files still being imported.
Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 03:29:22 PM by steven

frankz

The error message seems pretty clear about what the problem is.  What does line 2 of your XML look like?

spacespaced

You are correct Frank it was a dash - but i must know correct the other erros too.

spacespaced

No, this does not work. (fixing the errors) but i did read somewhere to change backwards dashes with forward ones and messed it. (those was the error )

now, the xml file is exported from macbook but when imported in MusicBee it does nothing at all.

i think the problem somehow related with media folder string?

thanks for the help

frankz

There's just one error there. It's all one thing. If you corrected the problem it was having with line 2 and it's still giving you problems, It seems like you're trying to feed MB a malformed XML file.  What program is generating it? Is it iTunes (if so, is it a recent version), or is it some other program putting out an iTunes formatted file?

When I came from MediaMonkey I did it by exporting my MM library as an iTunes XML file.  The plugin I used was not fantastic, and I wound up having to do a lot of text replacements in Notepad++ to get it to work.

spacespaced

The file was generated from iTunes under Catalina Osx. In previous try i was fixing the error but was giving me another one continually (because i changed all the / to \).
Now when i import the original generated file from iTunes to MB it does nothing.

frankz

I don't know what the difference would be, if any, in the character sets or line breaks between OSX and Windows, but maybe someone does.  

This information may or may not help, or may or may not point you in a right direction to research what may be happening, or may not have anything to do with it.  Pretty clearly, though, this is more likely a problem with the file than it is a problem with MB.

spacespaced

So i must not edit the generated library xml file? and just load it to MusicBee?

because this way is not working for me.

frankz

My guess is that it's some incompatibility between the way OSX formats the XML file and how MB, as a Windows program, expects the XML file to be formatted, but that is just a guess.  

It is choking on Line 2 of the XML file, and that line doesn't contain any actual data about your library.    This is why I asked what your line 2 looked like, which you didn't answer.

I have an old iTunes XML file, and this is Line 2 of it:
Code
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

The fact that is is choking on this rather than actual data tells me it's a file problem.

because this way is not working for me.

I don't know what "this way" is because you've never actually said what you've done or what you're doing.  I don't think I can provide further help but maybe someone else can if you clearly and with detail lay out exactly what steps you are taking, what steps you have taken, and what the results of each have been.
Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 06:59:55 PM by frankz

spacespaced

Frankz sorry but english is not my native language. Sorry i didn't want to sound aggressive.

yes the line 2 is exactly as you pointed. The error were the slashes - \\ - that  i edited next to APPLE.
When i corrected those two slashes it continued reporting errors with other slashes over the whole document because i had replaced them all.

After all that, i tried to load the unedited xml Itunes file to MB but nothing happened.
I was reffering to "this" way to my previous reply.

thanks for your help and i understand.

frankz

I wasn't trying to blow you off - I legitimately am out of ideas.

The last thing I can think of - and I don't know if it will make any difference - is maybe trying to create a library in iTunes for Windows using the iTunes for Mac XML and then, once that's done, exporting a new XML to use in MB from the windows iTunes version.  Maybe iTunes has some special cross-OS handling built in that can handle the different file format (if that's even the problem).

Good luck.
Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 07:23:33 PM by frankz