Author Topic: Help with Sync Folder Structure  (Read 4020 times)

bigdonkey1

I'm having some trouble with how to set the path for syncing files. The default naming template turns out "Music\<Album Artist>\<Album>\<Disc-Track#> - <Title>" But that changes far too many fields for me and massively throws off navigation (the dreaded "Various Artists" in particular is a huge problem).
Conversely, using "preserve folders and filenames" just dumps everything at surface level with no grouping of artists or anything making for a big mess of thousands of albums in one folder.

Ideally i'm trying to get it to just recreate the structure i use within my music folder, I did some digging and found this thread from last year: (https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=31810.0), Which seems to provide some sort of a solution.

However the way my music is organized, I have sub-libraries, Then artists or a common sorting factor, Then the album folders which contain the tracks.
For instance: C:\Users\<Username>\Music\Music\[FLAC]\Beatles\[1967-05-26] Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
or  C:\Users\<Username>\Music\Music\[Game Soundtracks]\Final Fantasy\Distant Worlds\[2010-06-01] Distant Worlds II - more music from Final Fantasy

As you can probably see, that's a lot of subfolders, so using the "MUSIC\" shortcut, it creates about 5 excess folders between "Users" and the second "Music" folder.

Is there any way to set where in the chain it creates folders from? From the example above i would ideally want "Music\[FLAC]\Beatles\[1967-05-26] Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band".

How would i go about doing this or excluding all the needless extra folders being created from using "MUSIC\"?

The Incredible Boom Boom

I'm having a hard time following your request.

Can you just list out how you'd like the folder structure for various types of albums to be?
The root folder will be C:\Users\<Username>\Music\Music, right?

bigdonkey1

Sorry i don't understand what you're saying?

When i sync a playlist to my device at the moment, It either transfers it to whatever the naming template has set (for example "Music\<Album Artist>\<Album>\<Disc-Track#> - <Title>", which is the default), or if you simply leave out the fields in the "<>"s it will put it "C:\Users\<Username>\Music\Music\[FLAC]\Beatles\[1967-05-26] Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band".

in doing so it creates a Users, Username, Music, Music, [FLAC] and Beatles folder for the album to be placed in.

I want to stop it from creating Users, Username, Music and Music Folders. I just want it to sync the files to a folder beginning at the second Music portion of the hierarchy. For Example: "G:\Music\[FLAC]\Beatles\[1967-05-26] Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band".

The Incredible Boom Boom

Awwwh, I see. You're talking about syncing to a device. This will need to be moved to the Portable board. I don't have much experience in syncing to devices, though, but I'm sure there will be others who can assist.