Author Topic: "Remove from playlist" directly from "Music" section needed  (Read 3930 times)

TheFlyingCelt

I see the new 3.4 version was released and first of all I want to thank the developer for providing this amazing free software.

Having this said, I'm quite disppointed for not seeing yet the feature "remove from playlist" directly from the "Music" section.
Why not add this feature together with "add to playlist"? It would be handy to right click a track and see a "remove from playlist" menu, uncheck and it's done instead of having to get into the playlist, look for the file, remove it from playlist, go back to "Music" and find where we left?
It's a very basic feature that is definitely missing.

Cheers

phred

• Global Moderator
A screenshot might help here so we can tell what you mean by "the music section." Ideally of the entire MB window.

As for your "issue" when I have a playlist playing, or am working on one, it appears in the main panel. I can right-click a track > remove > [remove from playlist only] or [remove from playlist and delete the file]
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

TheFlyingCelt

Hi phred,
Tracks cannot be removed from main panel unless I click the playlist name and remove them from there. Why not adding "remove from playlist" by right clicking on a track, or even simpler implement the ability to untick ticked tracks from the "add to playlist" context menu?
Long story short: just like I can right click on a track and add it to a playlist I'd love to have the ability to remove it.
Sorry I don't know how to add an image. It wants me to add a URL. I have the screenshot locally only on my PC.

phred

• Global Moderator
Why not adding "remove from playlist" by right clicking on a track, or even simpler implement the ability to untick ticked tracks from the "add to playlist" context menu?
How would MB handle the removal is the track is in more than one playlist?

https://gifyu.com/
Upload your screenshot to gifyu, copy the link given and then paste it here

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

TheFlyingCelt

Just the same way you can add a track to a playlist by right-clicking on a track-->add to playlist, by clicking again on the same context menu. One click will add it to the PL, clicking again will remove it from the PL. Extremely easy.

phred

• Global Moderator
Just the same way you can add a track to a playlist by right-clicking on a track-->add to playlist, by clicking again on the same context menu. One click will add it to the PL, clicking again will remove it from the PL. Extremely easy.
Thank you. I now understand what you're asking for and I can see some benefit to it.

+1

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

frankz

One of my first posts on the forum was about this.  Gosh, I was so polite!

Here's my (entirely unloved) wishlist request for this.

BTW, I no longer wish for this because I've only got 1 static playlist and everything else is automatic, but +1 for old times sake.

phred

• Global Moderator
Yes, most of my +/-90 playlists are auto-playlists. Maybe 10-12 are static. But I think the OP is making a reasonable request. As did you back in 2017. Too bad it got no replies.
Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 01:28:19 AM by phred

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

mrbenn

+1 for this

MB can add to a playlist, and locate any given file in a playlist, but if I want to remove a file I have to go to that playlist direct, find it/them, then remove it manually.

I would suggest that the flow be "Right Click > Remove From Playlist > (list of playlists the selected files appear in)

Would be especially useful when a static playlist is my "inbox" for sorting, and I want to remove them from that list once I have done my tagging etc.

Steven

• Administrator
just thinking about this request.
At the moment there is right click/ Add to Playlist/ tick on one or more playlists

If I rename it from "Add to Playlist" and just name it "Playlist" where you would tick or untick to add or remove from playlists do you think that is obvious enough?
I would rather not add a separate menu item "Remove from Playlist" to keep the menu clutter down

edit:
i will probably leave things as is, except clicking a ticked playlist will now remove the file
Last Edit: March 20, 2022, 10:19:27 AM by Steven

phred

• Global Moderator
If I rename it from "Add to Playlist" and just name it "Playlist" where you would tick or untick to add or remove from playlists do you think that is obvious enough?
Yes, I think it -could- work, but only if all the playlists (static and auto) in which a playlist lives, are displayed.

As stated earlier in this thread, I have about 90 playlists most of which are auto-playlists. When I right-click > add to playlist on a track that I know is in multiple playlists, only the static playlists show up with the exception of one auto-playlist. And only one (static) playlist is ticked even though the track is in the one auto-playlist that shows. And that -isn't- ticked.

Right-click > Search > Locate in Playlist. "Favorites" is static and the rest are auto.

Right-click > Add to Playlist. "Favorites" (static) is ticked. "Joy of Trumpet" (auto) is not ticked but the track in in that playlist. Also note that with the exception of "Joy of Trumpet" the only playlists showing are static.

Given what Steven is proposing, I don't see how it would work if all the playlists aren't displayed, and displayed accurately, when trying to add a track.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

Zak

• Global Moderator
My random thoughts and observations...

I made a test Auto-Playlist and test Static playlist.
I don't see the Auto-Playlist in the Add to Playlist submenu.
I do see the Static playlist displayed twice though. Only the second one is ticked if a track is in the playlist.

I'm assuming the only way this could work with Auto-Playlists is by adding the full path of the file as an exception.
(Like editing the playlist and clicking Add Files)
Which should make it easy to reversible by just removing the same file path.

Currently, selecting an already checked playlist will add another copy of the track (and prompt if configured to do so).
There might be some scenarios in which people want multiple copies of one track in a playlist. e.g. To add a banger to a party playlist.
The proposed change means it will no longer be possible to use the context menu to do this.

Any change would need to be implemented in a way that makes sure the right-click menu can still be displayed quickly.
It seems some people have dozens of playlists and they won't like waiting 10 seconds every time they display the menu while MusicBee works out which playlists a track appears in.
I guess if that was going to be a problem it would have manifested already though.

MusicBee doesn't handle multiple track selections at all.
If I select two tracks, only one of which is in a playlist, it still shows the playlist with a checkmark, suggesting both tracks are included.
Working out how to handle that could get messy, so the way it works now may be as good as it gets.

If the Add to Playlist menu already shows which playlists a track is in (and includes Auto-Playlists), it appears to overlap heavily with the Search... > Locate in Playlist command.
Are both needed just because the second one doesn't show all playlists, just the ones the track appears in?
I see how that could be easier for people with lots of playlists so they don't have to look through the whole menu.

From a strictly UI point of view, just "Playlist" wouldn't provide enough context. It would need to be "Included in Playlists..." or something similar.

By the way phred, you can use the Original Artist tag to replace your Covers by... playlists with Filters.
Though of course you may prefer to keep them next to your other playlists.
Bee excellent to each other...

Steven

• Administrator
"Include in Playlists" is a good suggestion so its more clear unticking will mean its no longer included.

MusicBee doesn't handle multiple track selections at all.
If I select two tracks, only one of which is in a playlist, it still shows the playlist with a checkmark, suggesting both tracks are included.
Working out how to handle that could get messy, so the way it works now may be as good as it gets.
Are you sure? its designed so if only one track of two is included, it should show using the indeterminate icon and if both included the checked icon