Author Topic: Looking for Files with APE Tags  (Read 386 times)

phred

  • Global Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 6702
Oops. I think I saw "APE" and stopped reading. I don't remember remapping the Custom Search hotkey, but the default could very well be something different.

To add onto @sveakul's instructions, in you MP3TAG, you can F3 to filter tracks and use %_tag% HAS "ape" (if I remember correctly) to grab the ones that have APE tags.
Not a problem. I've done the same thing more than once.

I will see what F3 brings (along with the filter you suggested) once the scan into MP3TAG is complete.

Thanks.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.4 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
Check out the MusicBee Wiki.
How to post screenshots is here.

phred

  • Global Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 6702
Of almost 37,000 tracks, there are (were) about 4,000 that had APE tags in addition to ID3v2.3. The APEs are now in the process of being removed quite easily thanks to MP3TAG.

In the process of doing this, I've found a number of tracks where MP3TAG is showing tags as !BAD ID3v2



And two with RIFF ID3v2.3



Any idea what these are and should they be removed? And if so, how? MP3TAG didn't remove those marked !BAD and I haven't tried the ones with RIFF.

EDIT: I also just found these stragglers

Last Edit: April 07, 2021, 09:03:16 PM by phred
Download the latest MusicBee v3.4 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
Check out the MusicBee Wiki.
How to post screenshots is here.

hiccup

  • Editor
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 4911
Any idea what these are and should they be removed? And if so, how? MP3TAG didn't remove those marked !BAD and I haven't tried the ones with RIFF.
According to the MP3Tag forum that indicates metadata corruption.
A tool such as MP3Diags is likely able to solve that.
http://mp3diags.sourceforge.net/

phred

  • Global Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 6702
Thanks hiccup. My own digging (post post) using MB's wonderful Tag Inspector, showed some funkiness in some tags in each file. deleting the suspect tags, cleared the !BAD flag.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.4 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
Check out the MusicBee Wiki.
How to post screenshots is here.

sveakul

  • Editor
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1647
Glad the APE tags were easy to get rid of.  Mp3tag won't remove RIFF separately (AFAIK), but Kid3 will display and allow removal of just the RIFF tags from files that have a "combo" once you've actually selected the file within Kid3 (which means vs. seeing it marked as "RIFF" in a file list like with Mp3tag).

Gotta say I never heard of "Lyrics3" tags until you showed those examples, had to Google it and it seems like they are a PITA to remove.


phred

  • Global Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 6702
Gotta say I never heard of "Lyrics3" tags until you showed those examples, had to Google it and it seems like they are a PITA to remove.
MP3TAG couldn't do anything with the RIFFs. When I opened them in Tag Inspector, MB threw an error saying all files need to be the same format. Which led me to file explorer where I saw that the two files in question were WAV. Had MB convert to MP3, retagged the two files, rescanned the album, and refreshed in MP3TAG and the RIFF is gone.

It looks like LYRICS3 is WinAmp's implementation of .LRC, stored within the MP3 file. I rid of a number of them with MB's Tag Inspector, but there may be more. MP3TAG is rescaning the entire library and then I'll know if there are any remnants. If not, I' m done. If there are some, it shouldn't take much to make them disappear.And they're all gone.

The only minor issue, and I do mean minor, is that I've got tracks like the one in red that are not like the other 36346. And despite what you see about ID3v1, there are -no- tags in that format according to the Tag Inspector.


And  these were also easily  removed with MP3TAB by just changing the the 'remove' option to ID3v1. And whoosh they're gone.
Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 01:32:18 AM by phred
Download the latest MusicBee v3.4 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
Check out the MusicBee Wiki.
How to post screenshots is here.

The Incredible Boom Boom

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 479
Y'all would be like, "WTF Get a life" if you saw my MP3TAG Actions. 😂 It's great program used in combination with a great music manager and player.

phred

  • Global Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 6702
Y'all would be like, "WTF Get a life" if you saw my MP3TAG Actions. 😂 It's great program used in combination with a great music manager and player.
I now agree 100%.
What started me on this journey down a rabbit hole was that I noticed a few albums had tags with typos or incorrect data. Then I noticed some problems with my music files being picked up by my Logitech Music Server. Spent a good deal of time on their forum and discovered the APE issue. Using MP3TAG I noticed a few other issues with tags. And now that the drugs have worn off, I'm out of the rabbit hole with 37,000+ tracks with tags they way I want them.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.4 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
Check out the MusicBee Wiki.
How to post screenshots is here.