Author Topic: WAV files showing Track Number as Artist  (Read 2812 times)

wakeskate

Just discovered MusicBee and love it so far.
All of my files are WAV files stored in the file structure listed below.

\MUSIC\WAV\Alter Bridge - Blackbird\01 - Alter Bridge - Ties That Bind.wav

01 - Alter Bridge - Ties That Bind
is what shows in the player screen
and it displays the Artist as 01 the track number

When Musicbee looks for art or lyrics it cant find anything because it thinks
the artist is the track number.

Is there any way to get Musicbee to change the way it reads the filename?

Thanks.....

frankz

Tools->Tagging Tools->Auto Tag By Track->Infer and Update Tags from Filename...filename template

phred

• Global Moderator
Except WAV is notorious for having poor tag support. And there is no 'standard' for WAV file tags.
You might be better off using MB to convert from WAV to FLAC (both are lossless) with FLAC having much better tag support.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

wakeskate

Hello Frankz,
Thanks for the reply.
If I do that does it write the info to the files stored on my NAS
or just keep it in the Musicbee database?

frankz

I would assume it would write the tags to the files like any other tagging, but I don't know for sure because I use FLAC

wakeskate

Will give it a try.
Have a cover.jpg in each folder so the only issue that flac has over WAV is the tags.
If I can resolve that I will stick with WAV there is a difference.
Thanks...

phred

• Global Moderator
Audio-wise there is no difference whatsoever between WAV and FLAC as they are both lossless.
The advantage of FLAC over WAV, as I said, is the poor support of tags in WAV files.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

wakeskate

Your statement is technically correct but it does not account for the feeling of well recorded music.
Lossless is a term but there is still compression and conversion of the music.
With how cheap storage is today it amazes me when people are just trying to save space.
I get what you are saying if you want the music on your phone I also have everything in flac and
use it in certain places. but sitting with a good DAC and 2.1 stereo system there is a difference.
Musicbee is great on a 75" TV in theater mode with WAV files.

Would their be any way in Musicbee to just tell it internally that the track is not the Artist with a grouping or something without
writing to the files?

My file structure may be part of the issue I may make a change there.

sveakul

Will give it a try.
Have a cover.jpg in each folder so the only issue that flac has over WAV is the tags.
Thanks...
Actually there is a standard for WAV tags called RIFF and there are taggers that accomodate it but the problem as mentioned earlier is player support and the variety of options it allows compared to FLAC.  Also, remember the only advantage FLAC has over WAV isn't in tagging/support, but also in the fact that they occupy SIGNIFICANTLY less space than a WAV file while still remaining absolutely lossless.  Space still counts for people with large collections and limited budgets.  As far as what you mentioned in your current post about hearing a difference, that has to be left to the realm of personal choice as opposed to measurable non-subjective facts.  The important thing is that you are enjoying the music (and using MusicBee to do so).

frankz

With how cheap storage is today it amazes me when people are just trying to save space.
If you're going to disparage people, you should try not being wrong while doing it.

There is literally, measurably, no difference between flac and wav in the audio samples that reach your ears.  Literally zero.  They are merely different containers for the same information with flac being more functional and efficient.

wakeskate

sveakul,
Well said!
"The important thing is that you are enjoying the music (and using MusicBee to do so)."
Enjoying the Music is all that matters.

frankz,
I'm not sure how suggesting that if people can afford the storage they may hear a difference with WAV is dispariging.
The WAV file is a exact copy of what is on the CD and FLAC is not!

I would suggest everyone sit with their favorite song's and the best system they have, and compare the feeling of a good song
in WAV over FLAC.
There is something in the dark spaces.

Now if I can get lyrics to display in Theater mode all is good.

I noticed your name on the lyrics plugin.
Is their anyway to just paste in the artist & track info in the lyrics panel and have it do a search?
Another app I was using had a popup when you select the search for lyrics option and let you enter the info.
Thanks....

frankz

I would suggest everyone sit with their favorite song's and the best system they have, and compare the feeling of a good song
in WAV over FLAC.
There is something in the dark spaces.
Will I need a green magic marker?

wakeskate

If that's what works for you.
I prefer a good whiskey.

A smile is happiness you'll find right under your nose.

vincent kars

there is no 'standard' for WAV file tags.
There is, in fact tags are part of the WAV standard.
The bad news is most of the tags are of no relevance for consumers and the crucial ones like Album, Release Date, Art work, etc. are missing.
Indeed, support for WAV tagging has been so poor, people belief you can’t tag is.

As WAV is a container format, you can store anything in it including ID3 tags in a info chunk.
This makes WAV as perfectly taggable as MP3 or FLAC.
The bad news of course is that it is not a standard.
As long as you are using Musicbee, you are probably fine using WAV as it gets tagged.
The moment you start using a app not supporting this convention, you have a problem.
A bit more detail: https://www.thewelltemperedcomputer.com/KB/WAV_KB.htm

wakeskate

The only issue I have is Musicbee reading the Track number as the Artist Name
so Artist background art is wrong, it tries to lookup 01 and lyrics don't display.
I assume that is for the same reason even though the Title is correct with the
Artist Name and track title correct.

Does anyone know a way to resolve this without having to tag over 40,000 files?

Here is what displays in the player
Van Halen - You Really Got Me