Author Topic: Duplicate Album Artwork  (Read 1617 times)

phred

• Global Moderator
Using 3.4.7760 P

I've embarked on what seems will be a never-ending project. I'm attempting to confirm/correct the metadata of some  36,000+ tracks since I recently found a good number of them contained incorrect data.

Something I stumbled on is that I have duplicate artwork labeled as "Album Cover." And when looking at the album in expanded view, I see this:

So I open the album in the Tag Editor, which looks like this:

I copy one of the images, delete both, and then paste back in and save. (I'm saving as embedded and as and external file.)

Does anyone have a suggestion as to how to find all the albums that have multiple artwork? It would make this taste much easier.

Thanks.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

The Incredible Boom Boom

Multiple embedded artwork? If so, you can use MP3TAG and set up the number of covers (artwork) as a column. I'm not sure if there's any easy way to list assorted mixtures of embedded artwork and external artwork, though.

phred

• Global Moderator
Multiple embedded artwork?
Yeah, exactly. And after I posted I started digging even deeper. And it turns out that when there are duplicates, one is embedded and one is the external file. Every album has embedded and external artwork. And many (most?) albums only show a single image in the artwork tab of the editor. And when I hover over the image, it shows "embedded" and shows the filename.

I can't find any reason for the images showing separately. It's not like the ones with dupes were added recently. Or a long time ago. It's seems to be a general mix.

It's been years since I've looked at mp3tag, so I will fire it up and see what I can do with it.

Thanks.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

hiccup

I can't find any reason for the images showing separately. It's not like the ones with dupes were added recently.
Random impulsive thought: Tools > Advanced > Reset artwork cache?

The Incredible Boom Boom

Multiple embedded artwork?
Yeah, exactly. And after I posted I started digging even deeper. And it turns out that when there are duplicates, one is embedded and one is the external file. Every album has embedded and external artwork. And many (most?) albums only show a single image in the artwork tab of the editor. And when I hover over the image, it shows "embedded" and shows the filename.

I can't find any reason for the images showing separately. It's not like the ones with dupes were added recently. Or a long time ago. It's seems to be a general mix.

It's been years since I've looked at mp3tag, so I will fire it up and see what I can do with it.

Thanks.

That is a weird one... I have never seen MB put both labels in one artwork instance.

phred

• Global Moderator
That is a weird one... I have never seen MB put both labels in one artwork instance.
What's even weirder is that I've never seen it happen any other way. Until this most recent(?) appearance.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

phred

• Global Moderator
Random impulsive thought: Tools > Advanced > Reset artwork cache?
Just tried it and no change. Dupes are still there as described.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

hiccup

Just tried it and no change. Dupes are still there as described.
To be very sure, you also re-scanned the album afterwards?

sveakul

I've always had two pictures show in Edit, both described as "Album Cover", if in addition to an embedded image there is also an image that matches the name/location specified in the retrieval filter and it appears in the "set which pictures are displayed" list.  I do that deliberately so in cases of no embedded art (I do not use external art) it will default to showing my generic placeholder image "Folder.jpg."  I would guess you had/have cases where your external image for the same track happens to match the conditions I've described.

phred

• Global Moderator
To be very sure, you also re-scanned the album afterwards?
Yes. And no change.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

phred

• Global Moderator
I've always had two pictures show in Edit, both described as "Album Cover",
So you're saying, as is Boom Boom, that what I'm saying is an issue, is the way it's supposed to be, yes? Two album covers showing in the Tag Editor's Artwork tab. And if so, then it means all those that only show one album cover, but reference two locations on the hover, are wrong, yes?

If both of those statements are correct, there's no need for me to go through them and delete the 'extra' one, which to this point has been showing one, but with two locations listed.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

sveakul

So you're saying, as is Boom Boom, that what I'm saying is an issue, is the way it's supposed to be, yes?
Yes, if:

1.  You choose to save artwork as both embedded and external for file
2.  The name of the external file appears in the "Set which pictures are displayed" list, and its path matches one of those set up in the "Folders to be scanned" fields of the Album Artwork Retrieval Filter.

phred

• Global Moderator
So you're saying, as is Boom Boom, that what I'm saying is an issue, is the way it's supposed to be, yes?
Yes, if:
My work here is done. Thanks.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki